1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Free Public Chargers: Leaf Abuse

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by Witness, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Witness

Witness Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Perspectives will always be divided in something new and undefined as plug sharing. I know where you're coming from and when you end up in the rare instance where you've exceeded your range and the closest charger is occupied by Leaf with an 80% charge, you'll wait for the owner to come back.

Anyways, I charged for 30min last Friday at the mall dealing with a T-Mobile charge in the store and when I came back to my car, I disconnected my plug and plugged it into this Fiat parked next to me without their permission. So discourteous.

PLSPUSH likes this.
  2. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wouldn't it be nice if we could all agree to get along and help reduce the usage of oil.
    You help me out a bit and I'll help you out a bit in return.
    Or we can just isolate ourselves from each other and sue every time our feeling are hurt.

Mike

babybird, Witness and bisco like this.
  3. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Every public charging station I've used that requires a card to authorize its use shuts off the moment you unplug it from a vehicle and will not restart until you swipe your card again. Admittedly I've only use a dozen or two stations from about 4 different companies so I can say they all work this way.

But, hey, let's give some credit to the engineers who make these things a little credit. If they are going to charge you for a service (a few kwh) do you think people would like your produce (the charging station) if they all didn't work as I've described?

This is what is different about a home charging station...no card to swipe to enable, power always available.

Mike

babybird likes this.
  4. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Easy solution. All Tesla owners get a few free supercharger uses every year for free (maybe 12). They get another dozen or so for $1. After that they have to pay something close to the cost per kwh.
    Buy a premium package and you get more free or cheap charges, but not unlimited.

Mike

5. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Very viable scheme. The sensible user is not penalized at all while the abusers are limited.

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So your implication is I'm a sue happy isolationist...because I won't allow someone to mess with my car "without authorization". You are not living in the real world.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I mentioned it in passing before, but more in depth, people have pulled guns and shot others over parking spaces. And not all on the incidences happened during periods of snow. On the less serious front, a wife's friend squirted a ketchup packet through a cracked window because whoever parked the car didn't leave much room for opening her door.

Right now, the majority of plug in buyers may be more communally minded, but that will change as the numbers grow. There will be more a-holes with plugins in the future, and even more, like me, that simply don't want people touching their stuff without permission.

babybird likes this.
  8. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You might want to read the thread on mynissanleaf about NRG / eVGO billing issues. My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - $450 bill from NRG / eVgo

Apparently they've been racking up fees in ways that shouldn't happen. One expample is if someone tries to use a charging station and the session fails to start then they go to the station right next to it and start charging, NRG is charging for both sessions at the same time and the phantom session may continue to run for a day or two.

They've been doing other goofy billing issues as well. It's enough that if I ever saw one I'd avoid it.

But I have used public charging stations that work just like a home station. No swipe, no log in, just plug it up.

and I've used a local Blink station that requires a membership card but still is free charging (not convenient as you spend a minute or two getting the card out of your wallet and fighting through the slow touchscreen interface through several steps before it lets you charge).

considering the variation in charging stations I've seen and the things I've read about I won't rule out the possibility that someone can continue a charging session after unplugging from one car and plugging into another (or say it's a new session but uses the authorization from the prior user).

babybird likes this.
  9. Witness

Witness Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Geez, that's messed up. Ketchup to the windshield would be enough to make her point, but onto upholstery can be permanent stains. Even then, the driver might not even know why they've been victimized. Should have left a note:

"Dear Driver, you parked too close to my car and made me enter from the passenger side. In response to this inconvenience that was very likely not done on purpose or with malicious intent, I have decided to permanently stain the driver side upholstery as revenge."

babybird likes this.
  10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A week after getting my new Sonic, we stopped for quick bite at a local fast food place. I parked near the door, but it was an aisle of parking spots that was empty. When we came out, there was a large ding on the driver's door. My tolerance of careless ignorance as dropped since then.

If you don't care if people unplug your car when it is done, you are free to leave a note to that affect. Without a note, just leave the plug in place. You don't know the person, or how they would react.

babybird likes this.
  11. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No. I'm saying that reasonable people can act reasonably.
    If you choose to use a public charging station, that is available for the "PUBLIC" then you should probably accept the fact that someone else should be able to carefully unplug you, when your car is done charging, so they can use the PUBLIC charger.

Are you worried your car will get damaged? From what? Do you park in a PUBLIC parking lot with shopping carts? You've already accepted a probably much bigger risk that a cart will ding your car.

Mike

Witness and PriusC_Commuter like this.
  12. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That is a bug, not as designed, right?

yes, I've used a couple like that. No problem because no one gets billed for the wrong car, right?

Mike

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    2 thoughts;
    1 - If you've never witnessed a pattern (I've noted it with ALL plug in's not just Nissan's) with an individual owner, but just presume the fully charged car owner is a scofflaw - you never really know. They may be unable to return at the moment - or? Yep there may be several reasons. Our company policy is to NOT be out valeting you car. After all, there may be no other parking spots in the structure, and now you gotta drive off to a remote lot & hike back? On work time? That's no good.
    2 - Many people I work with can get there earlier ... work earlier hours ... but wont. Yet they still expect one of the 10 EVSE's to be available? And these are pay spots. The nice thing is, it only charges you for time of use - 28¢/kWh with $1 minimum. You charge for just 3.5kWh's and violà ... you got a close up parking spot better than some of the V.P.'s. It aint my rules ... but I can work the system.
    ;)

14. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    And you can really milk it with the Mrs' Model X. :)

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    it's a jungle out there
    ;)

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    jungle motors?

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    yes - really. They played their hands when they put forth ad depicting this;
    http://chargedevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Lexus-talking-trash-on-EVs.png
    It's pretty much impossible for Toyota - Lexus to spin it now, any other way.

18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    there is a nexus one can make to the OP's title; Jungle Motors of San Juan Cap, builders of plugin cars, became notorious for ripoff business practices. The husband & wife (divorced to stave off plaintiff's litigation) team were always being sued. Both of 'em were murdered.

What was behind killings of San Juan Capistrano couple? - The Orange County Register

People; taking it to the next level. End of litigation. Moral of the' Bad Leaf story?
    1 - let it go
    2 - someone will always take it to the next level, if you do
    3 - treat' em the way you wana be treated
    4 - show a bit of grace when peeps fail @ #3 above
    Happy plugging in

#118 hill, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    babybird, Trollbait and bisco like this.
  19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    undoubtedly, it was one of the countless vicious Prius owners that unplugged them. Probaby getting off on harassing a non-prius plug-in vehicle.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are a lot more tesla, m/b, bmw around here than pips. honestly, what is even the point of plugging in your 300 mile tesla for a 1/2 hour?