1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Free Speech

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Devil's Advocate, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  2. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm glad you decided to frame your post in such a way as to encourage discussion of an idiotic decision by the San Fran Film Commission. You could have been inflammatory and made an asinine comment in your post or thread subtitle that fits your particular political views. <_<

3. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yawn...

from http://forums.grunt.com/forums/t/36823.aspx

Sgt Grit, here is your verification from a site called mightyrighty.com in their general forums. One of the posters spoke to Larry Kelly who is the location manager for the Marine Corps Commercial Project. He had wanted to film two commercials, one on California Street and one on the pedestrial walk way of the Golden Gate Bridge. He was turned down for both projects. Stefanie Coyote, Executive Director of th San Francisco Film Commission refused the Marines permission to film on California Street. Golden Gate Bridge District Director of Public Affairs, Mary Currie allegedly said, "Not on my bridge are you going to put your Marines.". Obviously from the name, the site is rather right wing but I have them to be accurate in the past when they are discussing specific incidents. Will do more research but hope this helps. Paul

*To be totally fair, another site (atlasshrugged) has a quote from Ms Currie saying that only one event per day is allowed on the bridge and the requested dates were not available. In addition she said that filming at sunrise would block traffic during commuting hours and this is forbidden. The final reason for not allowing Marines on the bridge is that guns, toy or real, are not allowed on the bridge except for law enforcement personnel in the execution of their duties.

also http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_s...omment-82446479

4. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Beuracratic BS, the Marines filmed n the center of Times Square for cryin out loud. Heck LA routinely shuts down portions of the freeway completely for filming movies.

These are the United States Marines, who fight so you can spout your cock-a-maimy ideas. Accomadations could have been made. Plus, I'd like to check and see what event was actually planned that day.

So as for the reasons given:
    1. Already an event planned. What event?
    2. Would cause traffice delays. What rule says that it is forbidden? She just says it exists, but what is it? Its one lane for a few hours, tough sacrifice!
    3. Guns for law enforcement only. uhhh, U.S. Marines!

5. MegansPrius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Sep 25 2007, 03:28 PM) [snapback]517560[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, it's all a bunch of cockamaimey-ideas at I copied from a messageboard for marines, run by marines. http://forums.grunt.com/

Find a real issue. Double yawn.

6. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Justify it however you want, but the site you cited was only re-posting from another site. The majority of the posts on the Marine Corp site considered the actions of SF a direct insult.

This is a typical liberal response to an accusation that their actions caused a violation of someones fredom of speech. "What me, not possible, I know what's best for you and since I didn't think this was best for you, I didn't allow it."

This from the same city that is trying to ban military jets from flying over its airspace.

I almost wish that I lived in SF just so that I could vote for Cindy Sheehan. I really want her elected.

7. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Sep 25 2007, 04:07 PM) [snapback]517638[/snapback]</div>
    There is a BIG difference in not wanting annual Blue Angels shows (which I enjoy watching BTW) and "trying to ban military jets from flying over its airspace".

There's also a difference between one goofball supervisor and a minority of citizens trying to get something done and it actually happening. The Blue Angels ban proposal got quickly shot down (no pun intended).

Throwing out comments like this do nothing to help your supposed arguments.

8. MegansPrius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Sep 25 2007, 06:07 PM) [snapback]517638[/snapback]</div>
    Dude, the same supervisor kicked war protesters off the bridge because they exceeded their 2:00 pm finish time. Why would this uber-liberal arrest war protesters?

This is a case of beauracracy, not "anti-americanism" or whatever. It's about avoiding traffic jams.

She kicks off war protesters:
    Anti-war rally ties up bridge
    Cops stop traffic to make arrests at Golden Gate
    "They agreed to start their walk in time to complete it by 2 p.m.," said bridge spokeswoman Mary Currie.

Like I said before, get a real issue. Triple yawn.

Here's the discussion from the minutes of the Sept 14 Golden Gate Bridge board meeting discussing this.
    Ms. Kupersmith provided a brief report on a recent situation regarding the filming
    of a commercial by the U.S. Marine Corps on the Golden Gate Bridge. She stated
    that inaccurate facts about the situation were presented by radio personality
    Michael Savage on his web site and radio show as to why and how the filming
    permit was denied. Ms. Kupersmith explained that the U.S. Marines requested to
    film the commercial during a weekday time that would have significantly
    impacted traffic flow and traffic safety. Consistent with District practice, they
    were offered an alternative weekend when traffic impacts would be minimal.
    They chose not to film at the alternative time offered

The District's highest priority when it comes to issuing filming permits is the safe
    travel of vehicles and persons across the Golden Gate Bridge, and the District
    does not allow activities that can reasonably be expected to distract drivers
    crossing the Golden Gate Bridge near the filming location. The potential
    distraction associated with the proposed commercial created a serious safety
    concern for our daily users.

Ms. Kupersmith also noted that the District is in the process of updating its
    ordinance that governs such activities on the Bridge, and the proposed ordinance
    would not allow guns of any type (real or fake) on the Bridge except when used
    by law enforcement personnel as part of their duties. The proposed changes are in
    development by staff and will be brought to the Board for consideration in the
    near future.

Ms. Kupersmith further stated that Mary Currie worked with the location manager
    for the U.S. Marine Corps’ production company to find two alternate locations:

one at Kirby Cove and one at Battery Spencer, both in the GGNRA Marin
    Headlands, and the commercial was successfully filmed on September 11th, with
    the Golden Gate Bridge displayed prominently in the commercial

Discussion ensued, including the following:

• Director Kerns inquired as to who had originally made the filming permit
    request. In response, Ms. Kupersmith stated that the request was made in
    early August 2007 by Larry Kelly, the location manager for the film
    production company hired by the U.S. Marine Corps.

• Director McGoldrick inquired as to whether the District had any control
    over how the Golden Gate Bridge is depicted in commercials and films.
    In response, Ms. Kupersmith stated that the District cannot approve or
    deny a permit for filming or any form of expressive activity based on the
    content of that activity, but that the District could enforce the filming
    permit provisions in its Master Ordinance if the filming takes place on
    District property.

• Director Newhouse Segal expressed her support for the manner in which
    Mary Currie handled the situation.

Oh, and you can see the awesome shot the Marines got at http://our.marines.com/
    Just click the "Our Marines in San Francisco" link.

9. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The story linked by the OP has been updated and the headline changed to accurately reflect the issue in dispute:

10. MegansPrius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wonder if the local ABC station is reporting this partly as payback for when one of their reporters got roughed up at the bridge earlier this year. That would be on another occasion where the bridge supervisor, Mary Currie, suppossed "uber-liberal" who supposedly won't let "Marines on my bridge" didn't let anti-war protesters onto the bridge. Also, if you look at the video on the ourmarines site that they did end up shooting, they're doing formations, gun twirls, etc. Traffic would have ground to a halt to watch.