1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Freeway driving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by LongRun, Jan 23, 2007.

1. LongRun

LongRun New Member

On a trip up highway 5 to 405 in the commute to Long Beach I tried something new, for me. I set the cruise control at 67mph. On the flat I left it. On the slight uphills I click down on the cruise control stalk from one to three times and on the down hill slopes I clicked up with the speed ranging from 60mph to 70 mph and managed 60.5 mpg for 300 miles. This is up from about 56mpg by running all the way with the cruise control set at 65mph. Before this it has been hard to hit 58mpg for any distance with just freeway driving and using the cruise control only. It appears that one click on the cruise control equals 1 mph, either up or down. Does anyone else use a technique like this?

2. berylrb

berylrb Member

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LongRun @ Jan 23 2007, 09:26 PM) [snapback]379826[/snapback]</div>
    This is the first time I remember seeing this technique. The cruise control increments are 1mph in the US. I seem to remember that the increment is 2mph in other countries.

4. investorrob

investorrob New Member

If you're typical trip is 1.6 miles to the grocery store, maybe you could just ride a bike. Your legs would get wicked strong and you would'nt burn ANY gasoline. That's like a Billion MPG:)