1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Freeze Mode", aka how to kill S1a

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Maxwell61, Apr 15, 2014.

1. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    when you decrease resistance. ....battery fan comes on.
    This show it works when it thinks battery getting hot.
    Some reason when increasing resistance it throws a code.
    I have resistor in series with sensor....could that be problem?

2. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Ed, sorry for the late reply.

The relevant parameter to look for is CAT temp, B1S1. If the temp is below about 230° , it will trigger S1a and the use of the battery.

I've read your testing, let me speak with the guy in charge and i'll let you know.
    Thanks for your testing anyway!

3. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Carefully thinking, you're all-way-round test let me think that the trick could be the excessive difference btw the resistance of the sensors. What resistence you did applied to actually decrease the resistance to check the fan? It would be possible that some difference btw the sensors is tolerated, an excessive one, throw the code....
    I've sent a message to the guy that will make the spoof for me, i'll be back on it.

4. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    cuts off about 248 deg on mine.....but thats just scanguage maybe!

resistance of sensor avg about 15k ohm with temp outside about 12 degree.

so this other problem bit of mystery...unless i need to cut off sensor completely during startup?

5. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    well i noticed by accident.

i attached variable resistor for the test and as i turned it down i heard fan spring into action
    i did'nt meassure at that point......but i try today

6. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are 2 CAT sensor and one is closer to the engine and so it will read an higher temp, no worry, whatever is your reference it will be OK. Anyway, i do use Torque PRO on smartphone.
    We should check form the diagram what false temp should equate your 15kohm but i would say the difference btw the 12° read by the other sensors should be less than the difference btw the spoofing for the "Freeze mode"... i'll double check it.

To know what is the best action we have first evaluate the equivalent temp differential in the 2 modes you tested, i would not make wild guesses...

7. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lucky accident :)

8. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait a sec: did you said your resistance was 50 OHM in series?

From the graph, at 12°, the sensor have about 25 Kohm resistance. To spoof it , we should have a total about 50 Kohm. So the extra resistance to spoof at about -10° should be about 25/30 Kohm which is quite far away from 50 OHM...

9. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    thats correct....why i went back to my variable resistor
    it seems to swithch in at about 30 k ohms or so
    ....but even at 75 ohms still equal to about -20 degree

i check fan again just now.......fan came on 5ohms or so[plus sensor].....hard to pin down exactly

anyway have to head off now.....all ideas welcome......maybe remove sensor from circuit next time??

10. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry Ed, explain yourself a little better , and double check the use of the prefix "kilo" (or lack of it) in the msg :)

11. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    edit: double post

12. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    lost a bit...... didn't use kilo

I have no idea about electronics so that maybe why I talk drivel nonsense sometimes

13. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    from the manual

If the temperature indicated by the battery temperature sensor is lower than the standard level (open), or is higher than the standard level (short), the battery smart unit interprets this as a sensor malfunction. If the battery smart unit detects that HV battery temperature is out of the normal range or its value is abnormal, the power management control ECU (HV CPU) illuminates the MIL and set a DTC.

standard level.?
    normal? abnormal? range

14. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Finally got My torque pro Working...:.. '" So I checked three sensors
    1 2 3 on torque
    temp average was about 23 degree cel between three.
    I have variable resistor connected to sensor 1
    I turned it slowly to bring temp down artificially.
    when I got to -5 degree. ...A code was tripped and engine came on...presumably the freeze mode we are trying to achieve.?(no amps to or from battery)

I had just driven the car so I will check later when battery temp come down a bit.
    so the differential between two sensor's and faked one was about 28degree.......
    wait and see

15. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    update.....i let battery temp come down a bit......few degree.......quess what??
    the trigger point also seem to come down
    this time -9degrees.....the differential seem to be about same 28 degrees

so maybe all sensors would need to be hacked?

16. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As i suspected earlier, the quote from Toyota of "abnormal" values of temp giving a DTC confirms that you first test introduced by far a too high resistance. And i still don't know which value you came up with in that test, but, whatever...
    That's right, that was the way to go, rotating the variable resistor value till the reading of the proper figure on Torque.
    You hacked the sensor nr1 but the Nr.2 seems to be preferable. In my Auris sensor nr.2 shows the max temp, but in the Prius could be different because we have the battery under the rear seat and not in the trunk.

Having said that, i would not lose my mind of the different trigger point depending on the battery temp because what you said seems to be inconsistent.
    Rotate the resistor until a -20° is shown in Torque and you will allow for summer temperatures. And check it.

The battery temp that triggers the fan is about 35° at the hottest sensor: this is also why i dont' think is necessary to spoof all the sensor, the system is setup to evaluate the worst case.

Please, if you can, tell me the value of the resistor at the experiment of -9° trigger point. And don't mess up ohm with kohm :)

Also, have you done a street test to evaluate the difference (FE and SOC) btw a normal S1 and the spoof?

PS: For the time beeing, i would suggest to restore the original conditions upon testing btw 1 minute and 2 minutes max from ICE start.

17. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting discussion here.
    This maybe a bit off topic, but the way I deal with the battery use during cat warm up is to force ICE as soon as I start the car (gas pedal in park), let the engine idle while slowly driving in the driveway/parking lot, and limiting acceleration to mid HSI scale in the very first couple of hundreds of yards. Voila, no empty HV anymore and better MPG, too.

In the future, I'll install a block warmer to further improve the process.

18. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the correct procedure jacek, apart that mid HSI is quite battery consuming, but it's only viable if you don't have multiple stops on short trips and/or you don't need some substantial acceleration.
    In the multiple stops scenario, is mostly the insufficient cat temp to trigger multiple S1, rather than coolant temp.
    For just 2 S1a in a day, i would not even use a block heather, this hack is for frequent S1a fliers :)

Kudos to FORD FUSION for having introduced the S1a skipping on the HSD (the "B" trick), and the Active Grille Shutter. And the recent software update that reduce from 65° to 55° the passage on S3 .....
    FORD-TOYOTA, 3 to 0 .....

hybridbear likes this.
  19. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    just a typo ...everything was k ohm

just drove in driveway........for the moment.......not sure if it will do damage.
    remember....it wont return to normal unless i turn off and restart car...and remove code

anyway i will try again

20. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    trigger point depends on start temp of battery.......so cant simulate -9 degree

anyway here what i did
    battery temp was 32 deg c for sensor 1..........turned resistor slowly till engine kick on

this time battery sensor 1 showed +2degree c.......interesting!
    then i measure resistance and it was 18 k ohm

results are consistent... temp difference between normal sensors and faked sensor avg 30degree +-

put into drive...ok put into reverse ok.......put into neutral.......wont come out of neutral....have to shut down ..boot up