1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Freezing 2001 Prius owner - NO heat!

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by M0mmyUfTw0, Nov 20, 2016.

1. M0mmyUfTw0

M0mmyUfTw0 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We bought our 2001 Prius back in April from a Chevy dealer that had no clue about Toyotas. We tested the air conditioner and it didn't work, the blower does, but just blows outside air. We got a $400 discount, but it didn't occur to test the heater. Now, in November at 35 degrees and snowing, I realize there's no heat either. I am wondering when a previous owner had put in a replacement, off-the-shelf radio, is it possible he just started snipping wires and snipped pretty much everything vital to making everything work? I started testing EVERYTHING in the car and in addition to the temperature controls not working, the power door locks don't work (Well, the passenger side does, but it will only unlock the passenger and driver's door with the key. The inside buttons don't work at all.), the dimmer for the dash lights, the big screen with GPS and fuel / battery info (fuel efficiency ALWAYS says 99 MPG) and all the dash lights around the big screen, the temperature control knobs, power mirror switch... everything. Only things that light up are the dash where the speed and other idiot lights are and the big, blinding, non-working GPS screen. I can flip between the 2 types of screens on that panel, so I know the touch screen works. The power plug works, using a plug in seat warmer to keep from freezing. It starts fine, sometimes shuddering when it starts.... It drives fine. I have had the Red Triangle of Death show up a few times when I don't drive it for a few days, but it goes out after a day of driving. I think it has to do with the moron that put the radio in. I bought a Haynes manual, and hubby is convinced it's this module, that sensor and pretty much everything else EXCEPT the wiring that has the radio powered. PLEASE help!!!! (I hope I wasn't too confusing or rambling, but I don't know how to explain everything that I'm so frustrated about!)

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 12 volt battery going bad can cause strange issues.

RCO and M0mmyUfTw0 like this.
  3. Got2bHam

Got2bHam Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Aftermarket radios are typically a no no. A friend of mine wanted to install one in a Gen 2 and the audio place he went wouldn't install one in a Prius because it causes issues. My guess is the radio or the 12v battery

M0mmyUfTw0 likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    All of those reported symptoms in the car suggest wholesale disruption of the car's communication networks, which carry the signals between all those various components. It would be easy for a careless radio installer to create some excitement there. The Gateway ECU (which, you might guess from the name, connects to more than one of the car's networks) is a small box in the dash not far from where the radio and multifunction display live.

I once installed an iPod adapter (to the stock radio) that brought down the network, because a mistake in the way its wire harness was built tied one side of the AVC-LAN pair to the tape eject signal. It also prevented playing tapes—they'd all immediately pop back out. :)

If you go to the network-check screen of the diagnostics built into the multifunction display (see elsewhere in this forum for how), I think you'll probably see it showing NG for pretty much everything. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to change all of those to OK.

I would begin by taking the aftermarket radio straight out, and then looking really closely at the wiring behind it to see how much fun the installer had with it. If you have access to a stock radio, you'll have the best shot at repair, because you'll know your eventual goal is a status screen that shows all the usual units present and OK.

You can get additional information about network health from a suitable scan tool plugged into the OBD-II diagnostic port; the Body and Gateway ECUs can pass relevant codes to you that way.

People often have difficulty getting the center finish panel off without cracking (or, sort of, disintegrating) it ... you'll want to check this post about that.

-Chap

M0mmyUfTw0 likes this.
  5. M0mmyUfTw0

M0mmyUfTw0 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all!!!! I'm somewhat mechanically minded, but no pro. I try fixing things, but afraid of failure when I get into them and then be completely without. My husband is insisting it still has nothing to do with anything I suggest. He's now on the "thermostat stuck closed" kick. Maybe eventually he'll listen when I read him all your helpful suggestions. It's either that or trade for a newer working Prius with heat!!!

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A thermostat stuck closed would tend to give you plenty of heat, to the point of risking an overheated engine. (Happily, I don't think they stick closed very often—that wax pellet can push really hard.)

-Chap

7. M0mmyUfTw0

M0mmyUfTw0 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He changed the thermostat and still no heat. :(

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Has that left him more willing to start looking where the problem might actually be?

-Chap