1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Freezing point -- Water in gallon jugs?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Jan 2, 2017.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    YUCK.

Kris hates city water. On rare occasions, I wash clothes at a city laundromat and can smell the chlorine on the wet clothes all the way home.

We test our well once per year. Unless someone has done some work on it (and then it is "shocked" immediately), never any issues. Our iron level is close to the top limit, but that is actually good for the heart. Other levels are pretty much mid-level.

Distilled water is kept in the plastic jugs for two years for drinking water (the time set by the bottler) and is then poured on plants and replaced by new bottles. Old bottles either become part of our "non-potable" storage and filled with water from our well, or are recycled.

As for the waste issue, we do use the toilets on a rare basis during a power outage, but both of us are pretty used to the woods way of life and we actually have an emergency "quarter-moon" house nearby, which I tend to use, but hubby uses any nearby fir tree....

Prodigyplace and RCO like this.
  2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting, never heard that before James, but I never doubt a Mountaineer

3. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mountaineer eh Silver Springs and Georgetown mostly. Lived in AZ/NM for awhile. Broken glass bottles and dry tumbleweed are a fire just wanting to start. The lens effect.

All the way to the bottom
    WildFire Investigation

Broken glass ignites grass fire that burns 8 acres near Ford Rawsonville plant

Have 4 Coke and 1 Pepsi 1.25 liter bottles. 4 days coming with temps in the teens (26501). Ground temp in garden 8 inches down is still upper 50's. Lets see how fast these smaller bottles freeze.

wjtracy and RCO like this.
  4. Eastside

Eastside Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If this is a new twist on the Pepsi vs Coke challenge,
    I'm betting the Coke bottle will break first. Won't say which one, but it's 4-1 odds .

The bottles will break when they freeze, right?

5. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Water jug has been out for two nights under a sleeping bag in shed and no problem (one night 24F and last night 16F -- tonight supposed to be 11F).

As an aside, my Black Boss Porter 9.xxx percent alcohol, has been outside this whole time in a glass bottle, un-protected near the back door and no issue. Of course, my Henry Weinhard's lager at 5 percent and the PBR at 4.xxx is also right next to the Porter and they have not frozen either.

Henry's is in glass. PBR is in the classic can....:rolleyes:

Took a big fall yesterday on ice and have a badly sprained wrist, tweaked neck and back. The Black Boss' time is numbered....

[​IMG]

6. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, 32 F is also the temperature at which ice melts. I used to live in the mountains where it would get below zero and water in the unheated barn did not freeze in the feed troughs for animals. But there were tons of hay bales inside that probably held the heat.

The action of freezing is a phase change. During the phase change the water will not change temperature. Therefore, freezing produces (releases) heat, about 73 calories per gram. That is the heat of freezing. If you have a large number of jugs in a confined area they likely will not freeze. Or at least not all of them.

7. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    20f and falling. 5 new bottles on front porch rail. Filled with 40f tap water. Snowing but it's still melting on the sidewalk (south facing).
    Upcoming temps: Na/18f Thur. 22f/13f Fri. 20f/14f Sat. 19f/10/f Sun. 37f/30f Mon.
    Freeze with caps loose so there is no air pressure then tighten to store. 2 liters lasted years with no cracks.

Sam Adams Cream Stout freezes in the teens and pops the cap off.
    Water sprayed in orchards to prevent frost/freeze damage in late spring is another example of heat of fusion release.

8. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You guys are on the button with the latent heat of vaporization and fusion. (y)(y)

9. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to hear of your accident, but glad nothing broken. Full of admiration for you two and your pioneer spirit. Regret to say I've gone soft in my old age and don't think I could bear it anymore.
    Get better soon! :)

10. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the words of support.

Back and wrist are still very painful, neck and shoulder much better.

Had to reluctantly enlist hubby's help in getting dressed as I am not used to one-handed dressing. I think he thought it was a bit fun, but he lost some of that glow when I growled at him for getting a little TOO involved in putting on certain articles.

Hoping wrist is better by the morning, it seems to have improved 10 percent or so by this afternoon. Temps hovering at 28F at the moment. Snow/Sleet, followed by freezing rain predicted for Saturday/Sunday. And, then another snowstorm on Tuesday. Very unusual weather for this area.

Global warming, huh? :D

RCO, lar.smith42 and Prodigyplace like this.
  11. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We may smile, chuckle even, but we feel your pain metaphorically. ;)

12. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That my child, is what makes time travel possible ...