1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fremont-Based Solyndra Goes Bankrupt; 1,100 Workers Laid Off

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by cwerdna, Aug 31, 2011.

1. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. Yes no proof of either just lots of evidence. Campaign contributions get quick approval. Doesn't haliburton's corrupt government patronage under multiple republican and democratic regimes just support the case that there may be a quid pro quo elsewhere?

Excerpts of
    Skipping safeguards, officials rushed benefit to a politically-connected energy company | iWatch News
    which was published in may when the government decided to make the loan more risky.

Lack of competence, bending rules to get money quickly to companies that fail while not doing the diligence required by law. Or ignoring part of the law to get money to your political friends. You decide if its corruption or some other word for bad government.

Yes, people act as if we can drill our way out of the global oil market. There is no evidence that the oil subsidies and drilling restrictions or lack thereof have any effect on the amount of gasoline in the united states.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    AG,

Try to be accurate. Circumstantial evidence regarding PV start-up Solyndra, an idiot war for bush/cheney/halliburton.

Contrast and Compare.

5. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow SageBrush,

I should know better than to respond to your questions. I'm not quite sure, again, how you think halliburton justifies moving your contributers to the front of the line, then violatiting rules about required documents, then refusing to provide requested documentation on the foia. Solyndra is the topic of this thread, not an "idiot war". The process in these loan guarantees is important, since they can help provide stimulus for green energy. When done badly as it was in Solyndra case, it hurts government support to these industries, and the programs. There simply is not an excuse to play favorites and ignore process that may have stopped this government waste. It is also a poster child on how badly targeted stimulus has not produced the promised jobs. As I included in my first post an editorial that I do believe the government should be providing incentives for green energy, and that most of these funds have not been wasted.

Please do your middle school level compare and contrast post if you feel it necessary. I don't think I will respond directly to you again.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ The point is that you are quick to jump to conclusions re: solyndra based on at best circumstantial evidence, but give a pass to the prior repuke admin that wasted 100 fold money, polluted in war more than a 100 Solyndras can hope to recoup, and led to loss of human lives in the hundreds of thousands.

Your credibility is zero, and your criticism equally worthless.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ The point is that you are quick to jump to conclusions re: solyndra based on at best circumstantial evidence, but give a pass to the prior repuke admin that wasted 100 fold money, polluted in war more than a 100 Solyndras can hope to recoup, and led to loss of human lives in the hundreds of thousands.

Your credibility is zero, and your criticism equally worthless.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  9. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This discussion of Solyndra is significantly more rational and perceptive than a similar one in FHOP. It's amazing how much can be accomplished when knee jerk political rhetoric is (for the most part) set aside.

10. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi pinto girl,
    I hope you don't include me in any of that knee jerk politics. I only tried to spell out the facts as I see them, and stay focused on being positive on the potential for government loans to bring the social good of renewable energy, while being against this deal, that seemed to involve a quid pro-quo campaign contribution to favoritism. This kind of thing is bad and intrisic in both parties, and we all should be against it.

I did devolve into answering a knee jerk silly ol' shrub -
    Which despite my clear distaste for corruption of this kind no matter where it comes from, got twisted into a directly false statement about me and my intent. If that person is a new mexican and not a new mexican't they will issue an apology when they understand the statement. Haliburton government coruption goes back to at least bush 41 and continues to this day, which is why it is worded that way. I voted for Obama and against Bush, but voting record should not have any bearing on the facts about solyndra. The hey look over there, and made up stuff about me is a sign of a weak argument. We all misread things, and some people are consistently wrong on the internet. It doesn't bother me that much.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  12. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
  13. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This situation occurs repeatedly in international trade. You could have an excellent year growing cotton. Just before you harvest and go to market, the Chinese flood the market with short-strand cotton and the market collapses.

This is a huge argument for supporting and continuously reinvesting in your LOCAL economy.

14. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yikes @ the Haliburton misdirection. Crony capitalism is a scourge, but at least Haliburton is still afloat as an American employer (in spite of their shady dealings with the "repukes," as some partisan here so "eloquently" put it). Solyndra not only swallowed $500 million but they also no longer have a workforce, so many of those people are going to end up in the growing pool of the unemployed.

And really, even some of the engineers at the firm thought this was a political stunt, in their own words: Solyndra Collapse Foreseen by Some Workers, a

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From the article:
    It was never clear to me how they could compete with even unsubsidized American manufacturers. Their claimed advantages seemed quite inadequate to overcome the initial factor-of-2 disadvantage of their cylindrical geometry.

20. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I never understood how they were going to compete. The line was the panels would be more, but installation would be less, but AFAIK solar panel installation is not the major cost. Then again there are lots of ideas that are stressful that I have been wrong about. That's what venture capitol is about, and provides high rewards for high risks. This solyndra deal seems like high risks but very low reward potential for the american people. I would prefer the DOE doesn't act like a venture capitalist, but can not profit to make up for losers like Solyndra. I'm not against loan programs, but they should be made to companies with lower risks as many have, and without the political games of pretending they will create large numbers of jobs.