1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

French Fry Sauce

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by efusco, Apr 24, 2007.

?
  1. Mayonaise

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ketchup/Catsup

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Mix of Mayo/Ketchup

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Malt Vinegar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Varies depending upon entree'

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Nothing but salt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other (specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Apr 26 2007, 11:06 AM) [snapback]430546[/snapback]</div>

Now you have me totally confused. What DO you eat with your Big Macs?

2. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Love the french fry in malt vinegar when they're Boardwalk Fries or some such non-frozen fry.

Love ketchup on all fries.

Really like ranch dressing with cheesy french fries.

Another favorite is the spicy horseradish dipping sauce that is usually served with onion rings--it's great on french fries.

And I love mayo, but not on fries--and yes, I've tried it often.

Oh--when I was a kid, french fries in a chocolate milkshake was awesome. Still do this on occasion with Wendy's frosties.

During my short stint of living in Bal'more, I was surprised to see that the Marylanders dipped their fries in brown gravy.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Apr 26 2007, 12:11 PM) [snapback]430552[/snapback]</div>
    :D

3. jared2

jared2 New Member

You mean "freedom fries", don't you?

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I put "other"

Sometimes I like it with salt only
    Sometimes I eat it with ketchup
    Sometimes I dip it in Tartar sauce

and yes Evan, there's poutine :p.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Apr 26 2007, 08:52 AM) [snapback]430527[/snapback]</div>
    mmmmm garlic!

5. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like homemade french fries. Sometimes with ketchup, mainly just salt, Kosher if available. If at the Delaware shore, Thrasher's makes a great french fry, Thrasher's salt only, my wife likes vinegar. Try making fries at home by frying in two steps, after cooking half way, remove & set aside, fry second batch half way & remove, then put first batch back in until done, then fry second batch until done. We think they turn out better this way.

6. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Good followup to the soft drink poll, especially since both soft drinks and ketchup are excellent sources of high fructose corn syrup, a substance that every growing child needs in high quantities :rolleyes:

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom 6850 @ Apr 26 2007, 11:53 AM) [snapback]430591[/snapback]</div>
    That's absolutely the best way to do it. But better than setting aside, they should be put into an ice water bath then put, cold, into the second fry to assure soft inside and crispy outside. Then yes, sprinkle immediately with Kosher salt.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    dang this thread is making me hungry!

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Apr 26 2007, 12:01 PM) [snapback]430598[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, and HFCS nazi! Seems that the South Side diet/low carb craze really brought the HFCS stuff to the forefront. I've changed my habits a bit in that I drink far less coke/soda/pop now than in the past and substitute unsweetened iced tea instead. Can't tell that I look or feel any better and haven't noticed any wt. loss, but I do acknowledge that it's probably a lot better for me.

10. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 26 2007, 01:09 PM) [snapback]430607[/snapback]</div>
    I also gave up soft drinks for diet, decaffeinated, iced tea.

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Actually, there's a healthier alternative that tastes just as good as french fries, and can still be eaten with your favorite french-fry topping:

Coat a cast iron skillet with only enough oil to prevent sticking. Maybe a teaspoonful. Wash and slice some potatoes into your favorite shape; half an inch thick works well. Dump them in the skillet and bake in the oven at 550 F. Stir from time to time.

Tastes exactly like french fries but has a teaspoon of oil (whichever healthy oil you choose -- grapeseed oil is good because it can tolerate the heat; olive oil is more delicate and I don't recommend it) for the entire pan full of potatoes.

The only problem is they're so good you can't stop eating them, and anything to excess is unhealthy.

12. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm no HFCS nazi, but I do try to limit my intake. My diet is really nowhere near extreme though, and I didn't make it entirely clear but I love french fries with ketchup.

I'll give it a shot with mayo some day, but I can't promise I'll like it.