1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

French Road Trip Headlight Query

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by GrumpyCabbie, May 22, 2010.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hopefully going on a road trip to France in a couple of weeks via the channel tunnel. We're hoping to get down to the Atlantic coast around La Rochelle via the Loire Valley, which should be rather nice this time of year - I hope.

One question though. How do I convert the UK RHD headlights for France? On my cars in the past there was always a mark etched into the glass that you covered up with either black tape or official stickers.

The late 1990's Cougar I had even had a switch on the back of the headlights that moved the settings from LHD to RHD and vice versa. Is there something similar for the Prius or do I just have to guess where to stick the tape and hope Monsieur Gendarme doesn't look too carefully?

2. dejongj

dejongj Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There should be a miniscule dot on them, you then place some 'beam benders' in accordance with the instructions near that....Clear lenses like the prius don't use those bits of tape that block the light, they need benders that point it in the right direction....

3. 4540flossy

4540flossy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds lovely! We're taking the tunnel next weekend and driving across to Brittany, staying near Vannes and the Quiberon peninsula for a week. Looking forward to seeing how the Prius behaves on a really long drive ( about 7 1/2 hours).

Anyway, for the last four years I haven't bothered with beam benders or cutouts as Honda recommended not using them with the xenons fitted on my previous car. I tried to be as courteous as possible towards other drivers by trying to minimise the amount of night driving and kept a pair of generic Halfords headlight converters in the glovebox for Les flics and experienced no problems. When I lived in France and ran a British registered car, I found the headlight converters an absolute pain as they don't so much convert as block half of the beam which made night driving an absolute pain...

Mind you, it is breaking the law as they are required as well as a fluorescent jacket, first aid kit, spare bulbs, warning triangle....

4. dejongj

dejongj Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I must admit that I do the same. I ensure I have them on me, but more often then not I don't fit them. I just manually override the auto levellin and point them down a bit more. Last year I was towing a 2.5tonne boat across the alps to Italy an didn't use them either.

But carry them with you, the law says you have to use them but carrying them you should at least. Before you can put a foreign boat on lake Garda you have to get it tested and at the same time the Italian police checked my car and trailer, as did the Swiss border force. But neither made a comment on my headlights.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    An interesting concept. Here in North America, cars can be driven on the road all bashed up, with headlights held on with duct tape, pointing at trees or the ground, and nobody does anything about it

2 people like this.
  6. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In your own country you get a feel for what the cops will and won't pull you over for. Also in my county of Yorkshire the Police are pretty chilled out so long as the car is safe.

However, a Brit going to France is another matter. The French Police have a reputation for being very, erm what's a polite word, harsh towards passing tourists. Shame because it's a beautiful Country to visit.

One of their rules used to be that you had to have yellow/amber coloured headlights, even if you are just visiting for a day. That was repealed back in the early 1990's, but not to lose out on the frivolous fine for the foreign motorist, the French have now decided that all cars visiting must have GB stickers (Country of registration), headlight converters, spare bulbs (for all outside lamps), Warning Triangle (should you break down), fluorescent safety vest (must be kept in the car - not the boot/trunk), first aid kit, fire extinguisher, Registration papers, Insurance Papers (including Green Card European Cover) and your Driving Licence.

Quite a list and failure to comply results in on the spot fines of 90 Euros per ITEM! It's all in the interest of safety and nothing to do extracting cash out of the tourists.

That's before the tolls and the speed cameras.

Still a great place to visit and drive though.

7. dejongj

dejongj Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see France as a necessary evil to get to Italy or Spain ;-) but yes the south is very beautiful.

but yes they all like their rules, if you think cars are bad, you should see the list for boats and then I haven't even started on the rules for inland waterways versus the sea. The Romans were bureacrats and it is still present.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    g.c., what is all this headlite stuff? can you explain in more detail? just curious, thanks!:)

9. dejongj

dejongj Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    UK is right hand drive so headlight beam pattern goes left. But since as good as the rest of the world is left hand drive, you blind them when you drive towards them...So you have to block or convert the left beam pattern...

2 people like this.
  10. 4540flossy

4540flossy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After reading (and replying to) Grumpy Cabbie's thread yesterday, I went and purchased the remaining necessary items to get myself legal in France, although the bulbs are for a 1994 Peugeot 405 and the headlight converters will remain in their packet!

FYI, a certain well-known out-of-town car accessory store is doing up to 50% off touring necessities including all the stuff for continental driving if you need anything.

I remember painting my headlights yellow - that and the beam converters on my first car made driving at night quite interesting!

Malgre tout ça, la France vaut toujours un petit effort, hein?

11. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I hope it's worth it though!

We were planning our hols and thought flying is out of the question at the moment - The Volcano & The BA strikes. So as the girlfriend has never been to France, and her being intrequed by my last visit 10 years ago, we thought it worth a visit.

I personally haven't had a problem with the Gendarmes but have heard so many worrying reports from others that I think it prudent to be prepared. Otherwise, the French, despite all the bad publicity they sometimes get, are a really friendly lot. At least that's my experience.

Me thinks a few pics are in order for the return.

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Of the trip or of your girlfriend?

I'd be satisfied with either

13. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not sure if I should laugh or be concerned :rolleyes:

I'll endeavour to post some of both.

14. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Both, perhaps. Definitely the trip :p

15. Ogo

Ogo Prius Owner since 2008

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The first part is illegal in international sense of the law as they are enforcing what is not legally enforceable by them.

France signed Vienna Convention on Road Traffic as most of the countries in this world, including UK did. This convention says that car legal to drive in the country of registration is legal to drive in any country which signed this convention.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Convention_on_Road_Traffic]Vienna Convention on Road Traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

So they can enforce local stuff like speed limits, but they can not enforce head bulbs or windshield tinting rules on your UK registered car.

But they can enforce country sticker, installed registration plates and that you have proper certificate of registration of the car with you.

Enforcing anything else related directly to the equipment of the car is basically illegal.

Those details are good to know. ;)

16. dejongj

dejongj Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are quite right, however try telling that to a police person who only speaks French and demands money on the spot ;-) Quoting the Vienna Convention is not much help in a situation like that, now if it was me by myself I'm quite happy to test the system and go to prison etc...But when you have a wife and children with you that is not an option either is it...

The act is great though and when I had my TVR it was great driving to Switserland for two reasons...Firstly that I made it which was always something to thank a TVR for :) and secondly the car is illegal in Switserland but a foreign registered version they can't touch so it was very unique and rarer than anything...

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Concerned

Very, very concerned ....

:hug:

<sigh>

A person after my own heart, bless you