1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Frequent dead battery??

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by blhvet, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When we showed up to test-drive our's, new but had been sitting on the lot for donkey's ages, they had it running. Didn't think much about it at the time. After the drive, talking to the salesman a bit, for some reason we went to start it up again.

And the 12 volt was completely dead. They had to get out a jumper pack. Guess they'd just put it away, lol.

Anyway, they agreed it was toast, put in a new 12 volt before we bought.

2. astricklin

astricklin New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Correct, my 2003 VW has always on 12v outlets. At that time, the new vehicles were supplied with a small solar panel to keep the alarm system and other electronics from draining the battery if the car is left sitting for a long time. I am not certain on the new models if the 12v outlets are always on, but I expect that the solar panels were cut for cost reasons (just as they no longer have a full size spare).

3. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Someone mentioned that the Prius 12V battery was VERY expensive. Has anyone had to pay to have one replaced? I'm curious about the cost as I'm am nearing the 2 1/2 year mark with over 50,ooo miles, and I usually don't plan on getting more than 3 years out of any stock battery. I checked Sears and they didn't offer one for the C. Interstate has a "Prius" battery that did not specify model, for $239.00. Does that sound typical? Are there any other sources besides the dealer?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Phone up the dealership and see.

I was a bit worried about ours recently, and started phoning dealerships. Not sure if it's the same battery as the c, and didn't write down the numbers I got, but recollect it was in the low $200's, maybe $219. So about the same as that Interstate, or less. And that's in Canada, home of insane prices.

For perspective: I replaced a Civic battery recently: $135, through the dealership parts department, no special deal. That's for a conventional wet battery, not AGM.

5. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    After my bout of aux battery problems in my Prius plug-in, I started carrying a booster-pack which charges through the lighter socket. Unfortunately it doesn't work when the aux battery is dead, because the socket is switched off. I had to rig a set of battery-clips, so that it could be attached to the boosting contacts on the fuse-box.

I haven't had to use it for the Prius so far, but I used it on my Corolla, which also had the switched lighter socket. I think it's fair to say that most newer vehicles will make these socket-booster devices useless, unless they can be attached directly to the battery.

6. blhvet

blhvet New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    So, it did it again, and the car was only sitting overnight. I turned off the fan and radio and locked the door the night before. Went to start it in the morning and it was like it was in Accessory mode (no Ready). Then the display lights kind of flickered strangely. I'm starting to think there's something funky with the electrical system, not just the battery. This is twice this week! I'll need to get it back to the dealership. I'll let you know what they say.

7. blhvet

blhvet New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for the delay. Took the car back to the dealer and they tested the battery (12V) and it failed. They replaced and so far, so good. The service tech said these cars are meant to be driven a lot and that if it sits a week without being started, it will most likely be dead. He said the battery in my lawn mower is stronger than the one in the car. The things they don't tell you before you buy... And I thought I'd done quite a bit of research. I'll be leaving it sot for the next 4 or 5 days - we'll see what happens. I'm looking at getting a Battery Tender, but it's kind of a pain in the butt to hook up under the seat all the time. Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions.

8. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Going dead in a week sounds a bit extreme. I could understand it if there is an unavoidable current drain, such as a fancy security system, but it should be good for at least a month in my opinion. Most people take 2-week vacations, and it would be sad if it cost them a new battery each time they left the car parked that long.

9. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    ive left the C parked for at least a week without any use and on the 8th day, it started right up. this was in winter time when i used my suv.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    He is wrong on all counts. The original battery is better than that, and normally withstands being left home for month long vacations without difficulty.

But bad batteries do get out of the factory on occasion. And more frequently, batteries accumulate wounds that lead to premature failure. Several accidental drainings can do this.

11. blhvet

blhvet New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    So far so good. I've left it for 5 days without any problems. I agree that you should get more than a week, but I guess time will tell...