1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fresh Air/Recirculate Mode Broken?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sung Woo, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Sung Woo

Sung Woo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I own a 2007 Prius with almost 125K miles. I've had AC issues with this car since I bought it with 97K miles, and there's one thing that I just realized. I have a sneaking suspicion that the fresh air/recirculate mode is not quite working right. I have a feeling my car might be stuck in fresh air mode, or if not stuck, that the baffle is not closing all the way when I place it in Recirculate mode. Is this an easy thing for me to check, or does it involve taking apart the dash or something more involved?

I also noticed that when I have the fan turned on and I go from Fresh to Recirc, the fan does not go into a higher speed. In every other car I've ever owned, this has been the case -- is this not the case with the Prius?

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are baffles that use servo motors to direct air flow. We see a variety of ways in which those baffles can fail. For instance:
    New clicking sound under dash, drivers side | PriusChat
    middle air vents stopped blowing | PriusChat

First I would recommend that you take a look under the dash, and see if those servo motors are moving. It might just take some cycling of the modes to loosen things, or it might take disassembly of the dash to get to the air controls. The recirculate mode does not change the fan speed in the Prius.

3. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Correct, it doesn't. And in 50+ years of driving.....maybe 30 different cars......as well as driving cars for a rental car company for 5 years......maybe 1000 different cars.......I have NEVER seen one that does that. Never.

Now, if you push the MAX AC button, it switches to recirc and high fan.

It may sound like the fan speeds up because it becomes more noisy to the driver as the inside air supply door opens.

And even on recirc. there still is some outside air coming in; about 20% I think. That is a safety feature.

What exactly leads you to believe that recirc is not working right ??

4. Sung Woo

Sung Woo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  5. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    You didn't say which button you are using to switch between recirculate and fresh air modes. There are two buttons, one in the Climate menu on the MFD and maybe one on your steering wheel, lower right quadrant. There is also a confirming graphic, in between the Ready and Auto A/C lights on the dashboard, which lights up when in recirculate mode. This is assuming little or no difference between the 2007 and my 2008 model year. I don't think there is that much difference. When your clockspring begins to wear out, you will lose button functions in this quadrant of the steering wheel button set first. I have to use the MFD fresh/recirculate button to make changes as my clockspring is on its way out.

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    -

#6 valde3, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model: