1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Friction Brake Maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by bauerhillboy, Aug 21, 2013.

1. bauerhillboy

bauerhillboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We bought our Prius I a couple of months ago at 30k mi. Now at 34k I wanted to check out the brakes (and rotate tires). The parts were all in like-new condition as far as wear goes, but they sure did need attention. The slide mechanisms were almost frozen stiff and the S.S. clips that the pads slide on had a lot of rust and road grime keeping the pads from moving around. The bottom clips were especially bad. I really had to pull hard on the sliders to get them out of the caliper brackets...pretty rusty just inside the boots. I cleaned everything on the wire wheel and with a wire brush, brushed on a little anti-seize between the S.S. bearing surfaces and the caliper bracket before putting them back in place. Cleaned out the hole and applied silicone grease to make a new home for the sliders. Everything works like new now. It took a couple of hours, and I think this should be a once-a-year job for me. The car was a lease turn-in from Jersey, and now it lives with me in NW Pa. The weather here is pretty hard on these parts.

2. bauerhillboy

bauerhillboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BTW, everything you see when you pull the wheel off is exactly what you see on any normal car. There are no regen-brake components in the wheelwell as far as I can see. So don't be afraid of screwing things up by doing what I did.

3. jnet

jnet Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

You're correct. Regen happens under the hood, not at the wheels. Also, I think the Prius only regen from one wheel or maybe two. Definitely not from back wheels.

4. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Both front wheels of course !!!