1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Friend wants to take out my headlight relay and try it on his broken headlight

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by macmaster05, Dec 4, 2014.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My friend just got a Gen II Prius like mine and his right headlight went out. He says it's not a bad bulb, however, because he took out the bulb (said he had to take off the entire bumper) and put it on the left side and it worked. So he thinks that something isn't allowing the electricity to reach the right headlight/bulb. Today he called me and came up with an idea to swap our headlight relays just to see if the relay is the problem (rather than taking the car to the dealership and paying for labor). He says there's 2 relays that control the headlights in the fusebox to the right of the hood, and that it's a simple 5 min swap and that there should be no negative consequence for me. We both have the HID headlights.

Now, my headlights are in perfect working order, so I'm hesitant to let him touch my car unless this is a truly harmless procedure. Is there anyway this could potentially damage my headlights/relays/fusebox? I told him I'd help him but I'm a little apprehensive. He just got this car and is pretty new to the Prius. Maybe it was a salvage title/non-OEM part? I don't know much about his car and I don't know if this is a safe idea for me.

#1 macmaster05, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You have the power over your own destiny. If you feel like this is a bad idea, then it's a bad idea. Stick with what you want, be firm.

Anything can go wrong when you disassemble things. Nothing is 100% harmless and safe. You can strip bolts/screws putting things back together. Anything can happen.

Why not have him buy a new one and put it on? If it still doesn't work, he has 30 days to return it.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your friend needs to check the fuse which supplies power to the right headlight. The relay is not at fault; if it were then the left headlight also would be inoperative.

If the fuse is good then trace 12V to the headlight ballast. If the voltage is good at the ballast, and the HID bulb is known to be good, then the headlight ballast is at fault, as it is not providing a reliable high voltage source to the bulb.

In general there would be no problem in swapping relays; assuming a reasonable repair technique. If your friend guarantees to repair any damage he causes to your car then I suppose you might allow some reasonable swapping depending upon how good of a friend you wish to be. However the relay is definitely not the problem, given your description of the issue.

Usually parts sales will refuse the return of electrical parts to prevent people from doing as you suggest.

#3 Patrick Wong, Dec 4, 2014
    valde3 likes this.
  4. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    MacMaster05 – IMHO, a friend asking you to “Cannibalize” parts and pieces from YOUR electrical system to troubleshoot THEIR car is too much for a friend to ask. You may well end up with a “Fried” MacMaster05 headlight relay or lighting system.

Read and heed JC91006’s “Anything can go wrong when you disassemble things. Nothing is 100% harmless and safe” caution, and have your friend follow Patrick Wong’s DIY troubleshooting advice for resolving your friend’s “Popeye Eye” headlight problem with the car’s HID lighting system.

5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Basically testing relay is very low risk thing. But in this topic we already know that it’s not the problem. So before your friend does tests like that he has to know more. Basically you should know every possible way part can fail when doing this and what can break in disassembly and reassembly.

I have twice done test by taking parts off my friend’s cars but those were cars that I did all the maintenance anyway.

6. stonerider

stonerider Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Can I be your friend?

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    After checking the circuit diagram "for some reason I cannot load" If one headlamp works the relays cannot be at fault. The headlamps however are fused separately. This confirms Patrick's words.

The bulbs can be changed without removing the bumper. Admittedly there is not much room. I have large hands, and I can change the bulbs. The only thing that needs to be removed is the air intake snorkel.

John (Britprius)

#7 Britprius, Dec 4, 2014
  8. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes but a bit too long way to just go hang out together. Or it would be pretty expensive repair work even if you only paid me my trip to there. But if you ever get here I can show you around.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is truly a test of friendship. Yes it's probably not going to cause any damage but if it does come down to something going wrong, this could ruin your friendship if the friend refuses to fix a problem. I don't like to get myself into situations like this.

It's almost like lending friends money, the answer is should always be "NO". True friends will give the friend "in need" money and not expect anything in return. Because if you expect the money to be returned, then most likely the friendship will be lost when the "in need" friend has no money to pay back.

10. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cool, thank you so much for the replies. I really appreciate it.

I told my friend to check the ballast based on your reviews and he said that that wasn't the problem. I guess he switched it like he did with the bulb and it also worked. Not sure if he checked the fuse, but how does one do that?

I guess I'm just left wondering though if the relay is easily accessible, and as simple to switch out as my friend says it is? I already told him I'd help him so I'd feel bad for backing out, so it's good to know this is low risk.

11. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is little risk in doing this, but it definitely is not the problem.
    The HID bulbs when failing will usually light when first turned on but after a time "could be up to 30 minutes" will go out. Turning the lights off and back on will bring it back on. This could be why the bulb appeared to work when moved.
    Disconnecting the ballast and checking for a 12 volt supply at the cable connector with the car in ready and lights turned on will prove if it is supply failure (fuse, broken wire, or poor grounding).
    Check the fuses with a meter not by site marked Headlamp LO left hand and LO right hand. These are the fuse that feed the two ballasts.

John (Britprius)

#11 Britprius, Dec 4, 2014
  12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If your friend doesn't know how to check fuses, you really don't want him messing around with your car.