1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Friends" PriusChats' new social networkin'

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Sufferin' Prius Envy, Jun 12, 2008.

?
  1. YES, and I will accept anyone who wants to be my friend.

40.9%
  2. YES, but I will be selective of who I call a 'friend'.

31.8%
  3. YES, but he/she has to be hot!

4.5%
  4. NO, I have my own circle of friends.

6.8%
  5. NO, I like the looks of that "0 Friends' under my name.

15.9%
  1. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've met quite a few people that I initially met online.

Heck, I even MARRIED one of them! *grin*

My online friends are friends, and are very real to me... I laugh with, cry with, pray for, and get exasperated with them all, just like my friends "in real life"...
    I keep in touch with my kids online... I've attended workshops with people that I interact with mostly online...

I'm seeing this "friends" thing to be like a "buddy" list... I can find posts by my "friends" easier, which I do find helpful! :)

2. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Rae Vynn,

How do you find posts by your "friends"?
    I'd like that feature too.
    Thanks.

your friend,

ZC1

3. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To find posts:
    Go to your User CP, and click "Contacts & Friends" over on the left.
    Click one of your friends... you go to their profile page.
    Click their "Statistics" tab
    Under "Total Posts", there is a link to "Find all posts by..."
    Click that.

4. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When/if I meet someone in PC in real life and if I doesn't dislike that person, I will be happy to be his/her friend on PC.

I think I am in the process of losing a real-life friend anyway, so I need new ones. :dizzy:

5. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Daniel et al.:
    Online "friend" can be a funny concept and I initially reacted that way to it, only claiming people I know *offline* as online friends. But think about it this way: People here have given you advice and help, all out of a sense of community and friendship.

I don't think the "friendly" people are just here because they/we happen to own a certain car, but because there's a mindset and philosophy that we share in a lot of ways (which happens to be partly expressed in our choice of car). That puts us a lot closer to friendship than just random strangers on the street.

That makes this place a big pool of potential friends, and actually connecting and interacting with someone here might even make them a real friend!

I'm going to send a friend request to Daniel now, but I won't be hurt if he chooses to ignore it (because we're not really FRIENDS ;)).

6. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Soooo....what are "points"?

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Moxie:

In the early days of PriusChat, there was a line below your name stating how many "points" you had. Apparently, posting earned you points. But you could also donate points to another poster. Points didn't actually mean anything or get you anything. But it was silly and harmless. Some folks enjoyed it.

All:

I do not belittle the value of friendship, nor do I scoff at friendship on line. It's just the "friend" label that seems to me to be shallow. If I accept every friend invitation, then the label means nothing at all. If I discriminate and only accept those I consider actual friends, then I may offend some well-meaning person who really wants to be my friend.

I have friends in real life. We do not exchange cards or buttons that say "You are my friend." On line there are folks I consider friends, folks I don't know, and folks I think hate my guts. I see no need to formalize any of that with official and public labels.

8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Maybe if Danny changed the name from "Friends" to "Associates" it would be more acceptable to some. More calls for political correctness to run amok. :rolleyes:

God forbid we misconstrue the meaning of "Friends" as being a BFF or Friends With Benefits. :eek:
    (Hmmmmm, PriusChat Friends with Benefits . . . now THERE would be a good reason for discriminating regarding who one calls a friend.) :eek:

No matter daniel, I'm right there with you . . . friend.

9. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I bet he ends up with the most friends requests, you know?

Here's the real deal: On another site I go to, I have actually met a lot of the people I have befriended on line, in the real world. We have become quite good friends, and one in particular comes over at least once a month with his wife and child, and we have a great time together.

And I mentioned earlier, today I will meet up with Patrick, whom I have spoken to on the phone, but never met in real life until today.

This car site, should be acknowledged as a place to meet people, to become friends, and frankly, amongst the many car sites I have seen, it's one of the more civil places I have been to.

I consider Daniel a friend, even if I have never met him in the real world, and if I could, I would buy him a nice beverage of his choice. I find him to have fascinating views, and he has adventures that intrigue me.

If he really does not want to play this silly reindeer game, that is up to him. I'm not really offended by it.

10. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If it becomes PCFwB (PriusChat Friends with Benefits), then I'm gonna need to revise my Friend list. No offense to anyone. ;)

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can see both sides of this. I respect Daniel's viewpoint, but my experience here with friends has been very positive, 'benefits' or not. I've become close with people I've never met face to face, and we've shared our thoughts, fears, frustrations, and accomplishments. I have no doubt we'd be genuine friends in the so-called 'real world.' More than one PriusChatter has travelled a very long way to get together, based only on what we've said here, which I find flattering. Our times together were great, and really, we were friends before we met.

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks, Patrick. :D

Actually, you have more "friends" than I have had requests.

The feeling is mutual, TJ.

Assuming the usual meaning of "friends with benefits," I could be persuaded to alter my position on this, except that it seems highly unlikely that anyone offering that kind of friendship would want to advertise it on a public forum.

13. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Oh no, Daniel. I'm pretty sure if you look for it, you could find forums advertising for FWB. :evil:

Check your local Craigslist.

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oh, I have!

15. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    And I did! He is taller then he is on the internets. Nice guy. Bought me dinner. We talked about things, and solved many world problems.

Here we are, in front of my house, in front of his Prius.

Attached Files:

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Would that be Patrickindallas? I don't think he's taller than he appears on the internet. Isn't everything supposed to be bigger in Texas? I think you're just shorter than you appear on the internet. Everyone knows...the internet adds a few inches.

17. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought the Internet subtracted pounds and years....

18. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    it depends on the angle you post from. (anyone heard of "myspace angles"?)

:p

19. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes it is him!

20. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes, but the extra few inches on all the ultra liberal and ultra conservative Pinocchios' noses is not where they want those extra few inches. :eek: