1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

From 15” to 16” Wheels Would The Reduction In Mileage Be Significant?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Soba1, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Chris Wolfgram

Chris Wolfgram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Tideland, those are some nice looking wheels ! Id like to find out the exact specs on those wheels... and on those tires. Id have to imagine, that "those exact 17"s are, in fact, designed for this car, and probably do keep very close to the same mileage. If I could find a set of those for my car, Id probably paint the inset areas to match my car color, and leaves the stars black ;)

Edit; So I actually found a guy at a local Toyota parts dept, who pulled one of these wheels out and weighed it for me.... Surprisingly, it weighed 23 lb ! The wheel I posted above only weighs 21 lb, and of course Id go with Energy saver tires as well. So I'm feeling like I could keep my exact mileage... if not raise it by a couple MPG... Granted, that set for tires and wheels is $1400...

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. They’re OEM (same ones on the Limited) so you know they’ll fit. The downside is that they’re not cheap from the parts department of your local dealer.

Those look great!
    The silver parts are removable plastic inserts. Toyota does sell several colours (blue, gold, gunmetal grey) but of course they’re expensive. You can probably remove them to get them painted in the colour of your choice before putting them back on the wheels.

Hmm, that’s a decent bit more than the 15” rims (I think they’re somewhere in the neighbourhood of 17 lbs?). That explains the 20% reduction in EV range when they’re mounted on the Prime (they’re available in Japan as part of some option package)

3. Soba1

Soba1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Base