1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

from 2004 Sienna to 2018 Prius Two; plus Carista

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by MylesPg, Sep 8, 2018.

1. MylesPg

MylesPg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just purchased a new 2018 Prius Two (22800 before taxes/registration; had 1 mile on it when took delivery) - enjoying it a lot so far - really like the DRCC.

Only my 5th car at age 50, keeping our 2004 Sienna XLE w/160k to haul toys and a small a-frame trailer.

Teaching my 16 and 15 yo daughters to drive, wanted smaller car to do that in and better commute car.
    Getting 55 - 63 mpg in commutes Seattle to Tacoma so far. 53 mpg overall since purchase.

Carista - just set backup to 1 beep.

Have many of you set it to turn off parking warnings after being stationary for 3 seconds?

I think I might - just listed to the warning beeps in drive thru while stopped next to a pole.

Also think of turning down volume to 1 overall - 1940's single car garage the those warnings go off left and right entering and exiting.

Phone mount - iOttie Easy One Touch 3v2.0 mounted on left just above side hvac vent - I like this one and used in my Sienna, but the slope of the Prius dash gave me some problems find a spot where weight of iPhone 6+ wasn't levered such to pull the mount off.

- Myles

bisco likes this.
  2. Smaug1

Smaug1 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome!

I don't know what Carista is. DRCC is the radar cruise control, right? I like it too. Lets a fellow use cruise even when the road's not empty.

I just ordered this cupholder mount cell phone holder. I had a spider-type one that I used in the grille of my old Accord, but it always kind of bugged me that the heat was blowing on the phone all winter.

Since2002 likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, all the best!(y)

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome!

My main gripe with DRCC is that I need to drive in Normal Mode because DRCC acceleration in Eco mode is too slow. Also, DRCC appears to use engine braking to slow which means more energy is lost that normal regenerative braking.

At least, that is the case on my early 2017 Prius 2. I now have a little over 12 K miles & its first recall :( Wire harness damage.

5. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Carista is a bluetooth OBD2 adapter and corresponding smartphone app which does the same basic functions as other similar adapters and apps, mainly reading error codes and letting you reset the check engine light. However it also has an available paid subscription which lets you reset error codes and also change settings like the reverse beep. There is a one-month free trial for the subscription and I think what a lot of people do is make all of their setting changes during the free month but they don't subscribe to the paid service unless they later need it.

DRCC (Dynamic Radar Cruise Control) is Toyota's name for what most other car makers call ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control or Autonomous Cruise Control)

I'm glad you posted the link for the cup holder phone mount. Georgia recently passed a hands free law. It allows using a mounted phone you just can't hold a phone in your hand anymore, even when stopped at a light. Even though you are allowed to use the phone for voice calls I never do I only use it for Google Maps while driving, I set my destination before starting out and then I place the phone in my cup holder, which actually holds it pretty good and I can see the screen okay, although generally I just listen to the voice commands but sometimes I do need to see the screen. I have been looking for something that holds the phone a little higher and I have been avoiding the vent mounts or windshield mounts. The cup holder mount looks like it might be what I was looking for.

Smaug1 likes this.