1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

From 46mpg to 52 easily, thanks priuschat!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by deltron3030, Oct 9, 2010.

1. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all,
    I wanted to share a little tip i sort of picked up here about getting 50+ mpgs, without having to be an "annoyingly slow treehugging liberal smug granny"
    I joined the site originally to fact check and research before buying my gen III, and was quickly sucked in by the funny, informative, clever, and all together great banter that goes on here...I learned about pulse and glide, tried it out and after feeling rather "meh" about trying to crack 50mpgs without being a road hazard snail, I dropped the idea and started playing with suspension upgrades. That's where I'd been until recently My curiosity got the better of me. People posting their mpg's in the 50+ range in the same locations I drive in. What gives?
    So I diligently went through each post, noting the different techniques people used....on to the main point:

After a fill up, I remembered someone here posting about how they try to keep the car's HSI meter right around the right edge of the "eco" sign....cruising at around 65-75mph, staying in this little range allowed me to maintain speed or slowly accelerate while achieving a consisant instant mpg reading of well beyond 50 (closer to 75)! Obviously staying above 50+mpg is the priority here so going uphill will slow you down a little, but we all know that.

I drive fast and like to zip around, and i never got the hang of a beneficial pulse/glide technique so for everyone out there looking to score a 50+mpg per tank (who can't already do so) try this out:

Drive at the right edge of the Eco logo. ( more specifically, find the sweet spot where ou can maintain current speed and accelerate a little while the instant mpg displays a 50+. thanks to everyone here who took the time to help us all out!

2. priustexasbob

priustexasbob Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have to concur, when I first got the Prius, about 5 weeks abo, I just "drove" it and averaged 52 on the CONS, not bad but not what others reported here. there is a thread about "getting the hang of it". I followed that and my CONS mpg jumped from 52 to 57. if the traffic permits, or lack there of, I slowly accelerate with the HSI meter just to the right of the ECO sign. if I'm in traffic, I will accelerate with the meter just getting into the power side, then as I approach the speed limit I'll back off to the right edge of the ECO symbol, achieve the speed limit and then pulse and glide.

3. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Yes, the HSI actually WILL educate us on how to drive for economy, if we pay attention.
    I find my MPG has improved on ALL my cars as a result of this education process...

4. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I run just to the edge of the ECO symbol and my average has improved as well. However, I seldom "accelerate", I'm usually losing speed and settling out around 53-55 mph if left to its own devices. Are you running 10% ethanol in your fuel?

5. dcscm1

dcscm1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great input. This has been my experience too. I'm getting much better total gas mileage, and have had up to 78mpg on my 20 mile commute, which is pretty conducive to good numbers.

With this approach, my driving pretty much hangs around 3 places on the HSI: 1) Just below the power area for accelerating from a standstill; 2) Just below the right edge of the ECO sign; and 3) Gliding. Simple.

Here's a more complete writeup that I did a few weeks back:

Starting
    - I Pulse/accelerate with the HSI just below the power area. (This isn't the exact sweet spot for the engine, but it's pretty close and gets me up to speed in a reasonable time.)

Non-Highway Driving
    - Once I get up to speed, i do pulse and glide. Pulse is done at a level on the HSI just under the right side of the ECO symbol. (This is the sweet spot of the motor at 15kw or 20HP.)
    - Where road conditions allow, I only pulse to 44mph so that the motor doesn't start to spin and create a 5kw drag. (it really is amazing how far the Prius will glide at 44 mph compared to 46 mph). To stay under 46mph I sometimes even find the need to glide up a hill for a short time to bleed off a few mph.
    - Of course I also do a little anticipatory driving on hills where I accelerate on a downhill or on a flat area leading to a hill, and then bleed off some speed on the uphill. (Unless I'm careful I tend to slowly accelerate up hills, with the speedometer incrementing another mph every 5 seconds or so. If I'm already at a reasonable speed I have to intentionally back off the throttle a bit to keep speed constant instead.)

Highway Driving
    - Similar to non-highway mode, I try to pulse or maintain speed with the HSI at just under the right side of the ECO symbol. On the highway, during low load conditions, my challenge is to not let the HSI drift down to just above the centerline, where the efficiency of the motor starts to drop off dramatically. (This is still a bit strange to me, since the links in this thread mention that efficiency is lower at this HSI reading. However, the instantaneous mpg display shows as quite high...) In those low load conditions, I don't hang around the centerline anymore, but I glide instead.
    - I try not to exceed 65mph since the air resistance begins to get much higher and I can't maintain speed at the pulse level described above.
    - Of course anticipatory driving on hills applies here too.

Misc
    - I rarely run on battery power anymore. This is a key piece of advice from experts on the forum. This too was counterintuitive to me, because I could see my average mpg going up whenever I ran on battery-only power. However, what I couldn't see later on was the cost and inefficiency of making up that battery state of charge with the engine.

3 people like this.
  6. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks! Yours was the post I found that helpful info.

I've basically started focusing on getting a feel for optimum throttle by factoring the instant milage with where I am on the HSI and what the road conditions are (uphill/downhill/city/highway/current speed/etc).

7. cit1991

cit1991 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    snip...
    There's a lot of wisdom in that statement.

8. dzawski

dzawski New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I like to use cruise control to maintain steady speeds - how do you think that would impact mileage?

9. dcscm1

dcscm1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Seems like it would be fine on fairly flat terrain. At non-highway speeds, though, you'd be able to do better with pulse & glide. On large hills, the attempt by the car to maintain speed on a sharp incline would burn a lot of fuel. For example, on the mountainous interstates in eastern TN, cruise control is really suboptimal.

10. mtnbkr

mtnbkr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Are you driving in normal, eco, or pwr mode? I normally drive in eco and want to have a proper reference for the "right edge of the ECO sign."

Thanks.

11. dcscm1

dcscm1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes I normally drive in ECO, though I've read on this forum that results are similar in other modes too since the primary difference between modes is gas pedal sensitivity

The ECO symbol I mentioned is the one located on the HSI just above the centerline. The right edge ends up being about 1/4" to the right of the centerline. On other posts I think I've seen that in this spot the mpg approximatel tracks mph (very rough ballpark)

12. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just keep in mind that different people have different opinions on the best spot for accelerating; the best thing would be for you to try a variety of different ranges yourself, and see what gives you the best fuel economy. dcscm1 likes to accelerate fairly slowly it seems (just right of the ECO light), I accelerate fairly moderately (typically just short of filling the Hybrid bar - eg just before filling the PWR bar), and (if I recall correctly) Bob Wilson accelerates a bit more briskly (filling a good portion of the PWR bar - but keep in mind that when you first fill it all the way, the engine is still nowhere near its maximum output).

So try a few different things, maybe a tank at a time, and see what gives the best balance of fuel economy, rate of acceleration, and not obstructing traffic. In general, the Prius will probably do fairly well in quite a wide range of power output, so any of these may be acceptable.

1 person likes this.
  13. mtnbkr

mtnbkr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

To clarify on how the driving mode impacts the car, does it only adjust the pedal throttle mapping? Does the HSI get shifted or anything too? My best tank was about 53 mpg, which I'm happy with. But typically I'm closer to 49-50 mpg. I'd like to try to consistently keep it above 50 mpg.

14. fmi

fmi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is running 10% ethanol any better? How long you been doing it?

15. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also tries to run the A/C a bit more efficiently.

16. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just to add my understanding is that this works because each of them is very efficient:
    1) Close to peak torque - good bang for the bang, as it were
    2) Engine running very efficiently at steady state. I believe it typically returns mpg about 1.5 * mph
    3) No power draw, no engine braking.

Note to others that with this approach the car will always be varying speed but doing so very efficiently.

1 person likes this.
  17. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You get that kind of mileage improvement when it simply gets warmer outside. LOL.

18. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In southern California the weather, on average, doesn't change drastically enough warrant the numbers I'm seeing by solely driving "better"

19. dcscm1

dcscm1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Macman, I absolutely agree. Different folks have various approaches to where on the HSI to accelerate at.

For the record, I accelerate from a standstill similar to Bob Wilson, with the HSI almost at the PWR region (and sometimes into it if I need to get going more quickly). I also accelerate like that if I have to increase speed by a substantial margin (over 15mph or so).

I use the Edge of ECO for two things:

1. Steady state cruising where pulse and glide doesn't seem to fit well. (e.g., driving up a slight incline, or maintaining speed on the highway).

2. To do micro-pulses during Pulse and Glide in traffic. With Atlanta traffic, my max and min speeds in P&G can only be 5 to 7 mph, or else other drivers get apoplectic. Also, traffic/hills/lights mean that I'm rarely able to glide for long periods of time. So I do a micro P&G. At the Edge of ECO, my pulses tend to be around 4 seconds or so.

20. dcscm1

dcscm1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great point INATM. Yes, this results in varying speed. Some of the variation is due to classic pulse and glide, but the other variation is because (2) is a "constant power output" where speed can vary by terrain.

I began experimenting with (2) based on the excellent articles by Hobbit that are linked about halfway down this thread, where he says, "it's not just about steady-state sustained speeds -- it's about holding a constant optimal power output when needed through a variety of conditions."

This may not be the perfect approach, but it's provided me with much better FE numbers than I've ever had. Plus, it's simple enough that I can do 1/2/3 almost on mental auto-pilot now.