1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

From a BMW to a Prius?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by liquidm1980, May 19, 2012.

1. liquidm1980

liquidm1980 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the camery is a little more then i was looking to spend. i could add a few more thousand to that and get a new base 3 series. at this point i just plan to keep the bmw. however my wife really likes the v so there might be a prius in our future. thanks for all the input. it is a amazing car sadly i just cant fit in it.

2. BGGirl

BGGirl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Out of curiosity- do you notice much difference in your electric bill because of the plug in?

3. khurtou

khurtou New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I use to drive my SRX Cadillac that was until we bought the Prius C. Now the Caddy is or spare car, soon to be sold. I find the Prius comfortable, sit a little low. I would buy another Prius before I would buy another Cadillac and I bought the most basic Prius C you can buy.

4. liquidm1980

liquidm1980 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well it looks like we might getting a prius anway. my wife had her car stolen from her job back on the 1st. nothing has come up yet and on around the 20th we should be getting a check. while she had a coupe she wanted something a bit bigger like a suv. at first she wanted a crv or a tiguan. we test drove the tiguan and while it was nice the crv gave a lot more for the money. she liked the crv but then remembered the v wagon she sat in when i was looking at the c. we test drive that and liked it. she was 50/50 on the two cars. however based on the cost being real close, with the cost savings on gas and the ability to use the HOV for free she is going with the v. well i guess i am leaving the c section and heading over to the v. guys once again thanks for all the input a few months back.

5. rondocap

rondocap Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a 335i and a Prius plugin.

I enjoy both, but you'll miss the bmw. Such a drivers car- even the 328. Much more comfortable too, and i have the sports package!

6. liquidm1980

liquidm1980 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nope i am keeping the bmw. my wifes car was stolen we r getting the prius for her. she cant drive stick which my car is so i doubt i will be driving the prius much during the week. now the weekends are another story. 42 mpg is a lot better then the 20 mpg i get.

7. bamboozle

bamboozle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I had a 2011 BMW 550I I loved the car except for all the issues I had with it. I was able to get out of the 550 but part of the deal was that I would get into another BMW so I did a 3 year lease on a 328i and I can not wait for my lease to be up 23 more months! I bought the C for my 80 mile commute and now we do not like driving the 328. I am getting 51-54 mpg and I only get 18 on the 328i, if I drove the 550 nice I would get 13mpg but I usually got 10-11 mpg. I do miss the confort of the 550 and my plan was to get the M5 when it came out but because of all the issues I had I scraped those plans.

8. liquidm1980

liquidm1980 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well i am glad ur ok with the change. like u i will get to experience both worlds at the same time since it will be my wife's car. i know what ya mean about the mpg on my 328 i get around 19. i didnt know the 5 was so bad, for my next car i was considering a 5.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Good to hear some real world reports of BMW reliability/lack of. BMW reliability is pretty hit or miss depending on the year and model. It always annoys me when BMW fanboys will claim they're reliable and dispute Consumer Reports and other publications w/reliability results..

10. col127

col127 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    sounds like you were/are in the same boat as me. i've got a 2006 bmw 325xit - love the car and it's been super reliable but because it's out of warranty worried about obscene costs to fix it should anything go wrong... :p i do now own a prius c3 as a second car, but it's a night and day difference. performance/handling/luxury vs. a super fuel efficient-car. both are good cars, just different purposes. :p my one gripe (along with many others) is the lack of lumbar support on the prius c3. for long trips, it's pretty bad! one of the things i enjoy doing is comparing the gas savings vs. my BMW. city on bmw is 18, highway is 26. my average on my BMW is about 23/24. average on my prius so far has been around 46. double the gas efficiency on a 36L tank vs. a 65L tank on regular gas. can't beat it! :)

11. bamboozle

bamboozle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    My 550I was one of the first of the new model, I had bought it in 2010. It had a V8 400 hp engine and I did not expect to get good gas mileage. I did notice the new 550 model has better EPA mpg so they might have changed something. They also introduced the 528I with a 4 cylinder engine. I really liked the car and would have bought the M5 but I changed my mind after the issues I had. I know a few friends that have the new Porsche 911 and I am waiting to see if that is my next car. I had put a deposit on the new 911 almost 2 years ago and I would have been the 1st in my area to get one, but I am done being used for testing for high end autos.

12. SILVERCwSUN

SILVERCwSUN Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The maintenance costs of many of the higher end luxury cars, BMW, Audi, Benz, long term never made sense to me. I always felt like the costs were just high or excessive. Years ago, I owned two BMW cars specifically, and very nice cars, but expensive over the life of ownership of the car if you keep cars a long time. In 1989 I purchased my first toyota product a 4x4 pickup and never went back to the high end Euro cars. Do I still enjoy looking at them?...yes, owning one? No, it just does not fit into my short term financial plan to retire in a few short years. If you play now you pay later, if you pay now you maybe able to play later with some decent planning.;)

13. liquidm1980

liquidm1980 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    very good point about saving for the future. i do really like the car and i would get another. however if i had to have or take on a debt (other then a car loan) and my savings suffered it wouldnt be worth it.