1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

from drum to disc

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by Dominic&Leslie, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Dominic&Leslie

Dominic&Leslie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Greetings,13,495
    I'm considering buying a 2016 Prius C (ONE) with only 31K on the odometer for $13,495
    This has drum brakes in the back, and I'm curious, is it expensive to replace these with disc brakes?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius braking system is complex, due to regenerative braking. I would not consider changing it.

Rear drums offer much simpler parking brakes and the rears do little to stop a car in normal use. As much as 75% of braking in a normal car is the front brakes.

Front Brakes vs Rear Brakes: What's the Difference?

#2 JimboPalmer, Mar 20, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    All years/all trims of the c have drums in the rear, so there isn't really a direct swap.

I would not be surprised to learn that certain Yaris or Corolla brakes would fit to enable such a change, but then you run into the complexity issue as Jimbo noted above.

For what it's worth, the brakes feel great. The usual problem with drums is fade on long downhill runs; I just don't have enough mountains around here for this to matter.

When shopping for a hybrid, try to get the youngest car you can find. Miles hurt less than years with these things.

Good luck!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    more complicated than expensive. for you parts. for a mech, a long time at $150./hour

i had twp prius with drums, and two with discs. no difference imo.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    [QUOTEppendi="Dominic&Leslie, post: 3133116, member: 122841"]This has drum brakes in the back, and I'm curious, is it expensive to replace these with disc brakes[/QUOTE]
    Expensive and totally unnecessary. Test drive it; think you’ll find the brakes just fine. Drum brakes are long lasting and work just fine. Disassembly to replace the shoes (if ever needed) is a bit of a handful; I prefer to leave it to pros. Typical maintenance I do is just remove the drum, check shoe thickness, loosen the shoes from backing plate and apply fresh lube to the contact points, button everything back up.

6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Expense is not the critical factor.
    It is not a practical thing to do because of the electronic ABS and traction controls.
    And it is not necessary either because the drums have MORE than enough capacity to lock the rear wheels.......especially in a panic situation where there is weight transfer toward the front.
    Messing with it could be a HUGE mistake.

Generally, the car manufacturers know what is best.

Mendel Leisk likes this.