1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

From o2 sensor to engine replacement in 10 days?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FantasticalMagicOne, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since she is DIY type it sounds like the new cell kit for $1600 delivered would be a good option. The link is in my signature.
    Any good modules from the old pack could be sold to recoup some of the cost.

FantasticalMagicOne likes this.
  2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    In my other car, the computer uses a 'canned formula' to make the engine idle at first. It then tries a series of adjustments to the canned formula, and makes note of what works and what doesn't in terms of smoothness, stalling and fuel used. Eventually the car idles smoothly and quietly. Similarly, the transmission learns how best to time its gear shifts.

Neither of those apply to the Prius, since it only has one gear and the whole point of a hybrid is no idling. However, it occurred to me that adaptive logic (learning stuff) may have been employed somewhere in the Prius powerplant- so I asked the question to inspire those more experienced to jump in.

3. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This might seem counter intuitive. The problem is the engine is not charging the HV battery. Your problem is not the HV battery.

Clean the MAF and drive the car. When and if codes pop up use Techstream for further diagnostics.

Raytheeagle and SFO like this.
  4. FantasticalMagicOne

FantasticalMagicOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I'd have to go the the DIY route because I can't trust the dealership with the repair.

Understood.
    It's not counter intuitive, I know it's something with the engine as this didn't start until after I had the ICE worked on. I just don't know what.

5. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I cleaned the MAF and the throttle body, but haven't had the chance to take her for a drive. I'll, hopefully, be doing that in a bit. Waiting on one of my kiddos to get home from school (ran out of time to do it beforehand). We're due to get a wintery mix soon, and now I'm racing the sleet/snow instead of the school bus.

6. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While I was cleaning them, I noticed this. I reached down to wipe it up so I could try to determine what it was. I wish I had thought to photograph it before I took a shop towel to it. Anyway, it looked like liquid but it was dry. . I've not seen this before as I'm not the one who generally works on it (I am now).

upload_2019-1-7_15-37-30.png [​IMG]

7. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need to replace this. Can I pick it up at a home improvement store like Home Depot. All of the auto parts stores I've contacted don't sell just the ring, and I don't need a new sensor.

#207 FantasticalMagicOne, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, or you can try a hardware store. Small stores often have a very large assortment of hardware, rubber parts etc sold in unit quantities so you don’t have to buy 20 of one item as might be true at Home Depot.

9. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll call around and see what I can find. Thanks!

10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Harbor freight sells an assortment box with a zillion size o-rings for cheap. Not all are automotive-grade rubber so read labels.

Skibob and FantasticalMagicOne like this.
  11. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ace Hardware has a variety of O-rings (it's closer to me than HF). I'll make sure it's auto-grade rubber. I'm still searching for the size. It's easy enough to remove and I can just replace it in the parking lot, but that'll become daunting if I have to go to a few places to find the right one.

12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That location doesn't get regular contact with fuel or oil so the type is somewhat less critical than other seals. It's more important that it be airtight though, you want that flow meter to have a shot at being honest. A lot depends on that thing giving accurate air data.

FantasticalMagicOne and SFO like this.
  13. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pep Boys has some too, but there's nothing specifically for this sensor. But they have the sensor in stock so I can compare it to what they have without needing to remove it from the car. I need to go there anyway to get the core charge back for the battery. I want to get it taken care of as quickly as possible. I need everything installed as it should be so that I can get a proper diagnosis on the car after I drive it.

I didn't beat the storm, so that part will have to wait until tomorrow.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  14. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm still scratching my head over that picture you posted in 206. Any chance you shot a reference frame or wider angle? I don't have it memorized for these yet.

15. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Found it!

If anyone here finds themselves seeking this o-ring in the future, the part number is 9099-14141.

I'll call the other dealership Motor World, or as the locals like to call it, Murder World (they really are that terrible) to see if they have one in stock. That's closer to me than all of the places that might have a suitable ring.

16. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

upload_2019-1-7_18-23-34.png

17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll be back at 250...300....

18. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

19. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. What was the condition of the original O-ring: was it missing, or was it broken, or ??
    2. How dirty was the throttle body interior and throttle plate?
    3. How dirty was the MAF sensor?

#219 Patrick Wong, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  20. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. - It was sort of flattened in a section. I'll be removing it shortly and will take a photo when I do.
    I was able to arrange transportation to go get it, so I won't be driving without it being properly sealed. The dealer didn't have it in stock, so I'll be going to the hardware store first and if they don't have it, to Pep Boys to see if any of the rings they have in stock will work.
    2. - It was pretty dirty and took me a few minutes to clean but it wasn't filthy (hope that makes sense).
    3. - Also dirty, but not filthy. However, I believe my mechanic friend (who gave the 2nd opinion on the motor) sprayed the amber part of the sensor with MAF cleaner when he looked at it, as the wires were noticeably dirtier. I'd have to reach out and verify that since I wasn't watching closely the entire time.