1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

From o2 sensor to engine replacement in 10 days?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FantasticalMagicOne, Dec 29, 2018.

1. FantasticalMagicOne

FantasticalMagicOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am unfamiliar with this?

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    http://www.techinfo.toyota.com

It’s where all the troubleshooting procedures for the codes appear.

Since you’ve gotten a Techstream diagnosis, this is the most reliable way to work the next steps on how Toyota would approach the solution to the problem.

FantasticalMagicOne likes this.
  3. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He noted that all the downstreawm does is monitor and that if the upstream was slightly off that it may not throw out a code. I'm not sure if it's enough to cause all of this ruckus, but I will have everything else checked. I might have a heart attack if it turns out to be the one thing no one was looking at because there were no DTC's thrown, but it was after that replacement that the battery issues began. I'm going to continue to keep an eye on everything I've learned here.

I'm going to call the dealership that's closer to me in the morning, and see if they have an appt available to check. My mechanic friend said that I could disconnect it (If I can reach) and that would show some results. I'd still need the sensor, but it'd be like it was before I went to get it replaced. And I'd need a new one before inspection time. I don't know where or how to disconnect it to test his theory, but it's not a terrible one.

4. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome, thanks for the info!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to continue reading all of the information posted for me here. I really appreciate all of it, and I'll keep posting the updates.

If it turns out to be the upstream, then it'll have been a very expensive lesson. If anything, I get to walk away with a new socket set, new torque wrenches, a new multi-meter (never did find mine), and much more knowledge about my car than I ever had. I was lucky enough to have someone spot my bad 12v and replaced a battery for the first time, I learned about the water in my hatch and how to take care of it, and I'm confident when the time comes, I'll be ready to tackle replacing and balancing the HV modules. But let's not rush that.

I'm going to get more of the equipment/tools for the house so I can take care of what I know, like my oil changes. And learn how to take care of what I don't know.

6. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nothing like a crappy dealer to make one motivated to learn how to do much better than dealers at a fraction of the cost. Good for you!

7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My local dealer i also crappy. According to them I could only get the Prius Two with black interior and they would not deal on price. Their service department messed up the paperwork for the first free service of a tire rotation.o_O

I drove 150 miles and saved money buying from a salesman who owns a Gen 1 Prius. He spent over 30 minutes in the car reviewing the features before we even test drove the car. I also drove that distance for my wiring harness recall. (y)

I also do my own oil changes so I can be sure they are done correctly. I use ramps but need to be careful due to the low clearance on my car. I sympathize with @FantasticalMagicOne .

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From my limited experience with oil overfill, the oil level you have on your picture seems to be a non issue. However I'm not sure if your oil level reading was done on a flat surface or in the morning before you started the car.

Since your oil change was done recently (around the time you noticed bad performance), is there a way you can drain some of the oil out so that it's not above the top dimple on the oil dipstick? We want to rule out as much as possible and overfilling will cause performance issues.

9. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have nothing safe to lift the car for me to get under and drain it. Unless someone has another way?

I checked on a flat surface, in the morning before I started the car.

The oil was changed a couple of weeks (maybe 2) before the performance issues.

But I'd like it to be at the level that it should be. So, I've no issue draining some, if I'm able.

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should be able to reach the drain bolt by driving the car's right side onto a curbed driveway (choose a very high driveway). You don't have to remove the entire drain bolt to drain, I'm thinking you're going to drain about 12-15oz max

11. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There aren't any curbed driveways here (just HAD to move out of the city).

My neighbor might have something, I'll check if I can. He works 3rd shift and I go weeks without seeing him (A perk of not living in the city).

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just don't know if your car would see that little extra oil as a problem. Some previous posts have mentioned performance problems with overfilled engines.

My car which I got back from the dealer, also has a similar level overfill. But I have no issues.

13. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The easiest safest way to get the car high enough to change the oil is to get some 2x10’s from Home Depot or someplace and cut them so you can stack 3 or 4 high with a step between each lift. That will get the car high enough to change the oil. That’s what I do, my ramps and jack don’t fit under the car otherwise

Get 3 8 ft boards. 1st cut one in half (2-4ft). Then cut 2nd 3ft-3dt- 2ft remaining. Cut 3rd 2ft-1ft-1ft-4ft remains. If you have or can get scrap lumber even better.

#273 Skibob, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You mentioned you go up hills and the car doesn't have power to go up. Maybe with the slight overfill, going up a hill would make the slight overfill into a BIG overfill.

15. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I read a lot about oil overfill and it can do some nasty damage. And yes, I live in the mountains. Lots of hills (3 miles up hill to get to my street).

16. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No need for a curb (and save the neighbor for the serious stuff).

The bolt is right between the axle and the bumper on the passenger side.

Just turn the steering wheel to the far right, loosen the bolt without removing it, then use a shorter catch container that will easily fit underneath (example: 4 inch height cottage cheese, sour cream, etc), hold the container in one hand and loosen the bolt the rest of the way with the other hand without dropping it (keep it in or near the hole to quickly plug and prevent too much oil from draining), drain the required amount out and tighten up the plug again.

17. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the tip. Now I feel justified in not cleaning out my fridge on trash day. :ROFLMAO:

18. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't get to it, but it occurred to me that I can try to use a turkey baster to suck some of it out from the top of the car. I don't know how well it'll do, but it's worth ruining a baster to find out.

19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not sure you can reach the oil with a turkey baster, but you can try. You only need to remove about a cup 12oz (can of soda) I'd say is enough to bring it below that full line. Save the oil in case you need to put it back in

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll keep everyone posted if it works. It'll be a funny story regardless. Yes, I washed out a pickle jar so nothing would get in the oil in case I needed to return some.