1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

From o2 sensor to engine replacement in 10 days?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FantasticalMagicOne, Dec 29, 2018.

1. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Read the first and last pages, not all 18... But just to chime in if it hasn't been said, I've had my Prius try to shake me to death, no codes registered. It was completely my fault but a super delayed reaction. During an oil change I didn't use a funnel and poured the oil in. Some spilled out around the cap. Well, that goes right into the sparkplug and I had fouled up a coil pack in doing so. Additionally the oil went downstream to the O2 sensor... All sounds familiar to you so far.

I replaced all the coil packs just because and the plugs as well as tried to clean up as well as possible. Shaking fixed.

It sounds like you do a lot of the work yourself, and it is really easy to foul up that sensor, plug, and coil pack with a second of being sloppy.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    no misfire codes present

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I got no misfire codes either

4. FantasticalMagicOne

FantasticalMagicOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, only what that their tech keeps leading them to "engine replacement."

I find it odd that I told them to change the sensor no matter what, and it hasn't been done. I told them at least 3 times before they called me with their diagnosis. If it doesn't fix the problem then on top of an hour and a half of paid labor, they also get to be right.

Okay, I'll see what happens when I get the car back.

The pistons/valves statement came from the dealership that has been caught in a few lies, so seeing is believing on that one. Dealership 2 didn't know about the piston/valve thing after reviewing the files they have access to, via Toyota? Seems like something that should have accompanied the diagnosis, but they didn't note how they determined I needed another new cat and downstream sensor, so there's that.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So is it unreasonable for your step-dad or mechanic friend to install the oxygen sensor, use a borescope inspection camera to look in the engine cylinders, do a cylinder compression test etc.? If they are on board with replacing the engine they should be able to start with these relatively simple steps.

FantasticalMagicOne likes this.
  6. PAUL SCHULTZ

PAUL SCHULTZ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    SFO likes this.
  7. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My step-dad is over 100 miles away and not in good health. He's shouldn't be doing any of the work he's doing at home. It's worrisome, to me anyway, but his knowledge is invaluable when it comes to non-hybrid vehicles. He calls BS (figured he would), but agrees with others that I should get a new vehicle. Albeit, his reasons are different. I warned you about those confounded hybrids! Scrap that thing and get a bicycle! You'd be much better off! Then he follows that up with actual advice, he's the best! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    [​IMG]

My friend is also very good with combustion engines, but doesn't work on hybrids. I asked him to look at the ICE and tell me what he saw. He's the one who ruled out the sludge in the first place. After the troubleshooting I did, thanks to the help of everyone here, he came to the same conclusions as many others - get rid of the aftermarket sensor and get a toyota one.

He drove it after the first dead engine diagnosis, and when I asked him if he noted any signs of what I'm being told by either dealership, the answer was no. He was astonished when I told him what I was told today. Now that I have the sensor socket, thanks to another member here, he may be willing to change it. I'm waiting to hear back from him now but, as noted, he doesn't work on hybrids.

Both disagree with the diagnosis, there would have been more signs. The piston/valve/no oil theory would have been loud with a lot of clunking noises. Also noted, that it could drive with sludge, but it would drive like absolute **** and you would know it long before it died.

My step-dad said to get it out of there, we know it's not what they say and they obviously aren't going to change the sensor as I repeatedly requested, and letting them open the manifold will prove you right and cost you gaskets.

I'm aware that it may be something other than the sensor, but it seems a reasonable place to start. I don't want to chase this down to the point of "could have had a new car with the amount I spent," but I do want to see what putting the OEM on would do. They are so dead set against replacing this sensor and I want to know why. It's definitely achievable, it's not like I'm asking them to change the blinker fluid. :LOL:

8. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, Paul.

If this turns into a cut my losses and get a new one thing, then I'll likely pick something up from a dealer. I like warranties.

9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The best warranty from a Toyota dealer is to get a Toyota Certified used vehicle. The warranty is then with Toyota and not with a particular dealer.

https://www.toyotacertified.com

FantasticalMagicOne likes this.
  10. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have never heard of a dealer not doing a task I requested. Contact Toyota corporate again and tell them the dealer refused to replace the sensor as requested but did 5 hours of unauthorized diagnostic.

SFO and Prodigyplace like this.
  11. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I made an appt at my friends garage, he's willing to put in the sensor. I did make sure he knew before he took that job that the inverter needs to come out in order to reach it. He's also willing to do the camera inspection and compression test. However, he can't get me in until the 28th.

I set up a conference call to the dealership with my step-dad so he could ask the questions and I can stop being the messenger. After the phone call, his advice was to do the compression test (I authorized the test). He said that will tell us for sure if the engine is shot, regardless of the reason why. If I understand correctly, the results of this test should be 150psi (or higher) per cylinder with no more than a 10% variation between the highest an lowest reading. Is that accurate?

I'll be getting the read out from the machine and if it the test results indicate that the engine is shot, then I've got a heavy decision to make. If it tests fine then I'll proceed with the sensor replacement, and if that's not the fix it needs, then I've got a heavy decision to make.

I think that we've put too much money into this car already and a "new" engine brings about many concerns, and I'm still highly suspect of that sensor. I am more inclined to walk away and eat my losses.

12. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After speaking to the dealership today, we cleared up the diagnostic hours issue. He said that they did spend 5 hours on it, but will only be billing me for what I authorized. Seems like it was a miscommunication.

As for the sensor, see #371. I've every intention of contacting corporate again, but will wait until this car conundrum concludes.

Skibob likes this.
  13. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a friend who owned a Ford Taurus with an extended warranty he paid for from the dealer. He was having a problem with the car with 1 cylinder having to have the spark plug replaced and several Ford dealers telling him it was no big deal and charging him for diagnostic time and finding nothing. When he told me his story he was near 100,000 miles and his extended warranty was about to expire. I asked him if the car had a compression test, he said “No the dealer has only done a computer test and the dealer said it passed”. I advised him to get a real compression test. The car failed on the cylinder that kept having the spark plug replaced. He brought the findings back to the selling dealer and they told him the paperwork for the extended warranty was destroyed in the 911 attack. I told him he still had copies of that paperwork and he should contact the California BAR. When he mentioned that to the dealer they fixed that car right quick.
    The moral to this story is dealers are SCUM!
    Never trust a dealer.

SFO and padroo like this.
  14. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You go Girl. :)

15. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally I would want to be present during that test if it’s being done at the dealership. If I have no trust in the mechanic doing the test I can’t trust he would do the wet portion of the test.

Ask Dad, he knows.

16. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The spec is 128 psi, the minimum is 99 psi, and the maximum variation across cylinders is 14 psi.

I believe you have Mini VCI. You can crank the engine via computer control: DIAGNOSIS / OBD/MOBD / HV ECU / ACTIVE TEST / COMPRESS TEST

If a cylinder has low compression, then put a tablespoon of engine oil into the spark plug hole and repeat the test. If the compression improves, that shows you the piston rings/cylinder bore is at fault. If the compression does not improve, that shows you the valves for that cylinder are leaking.

Inspect the spark plugs while they are out. They should be NGK or Denso iridium plugs. The correct gap is 1.0 to 1,1 mm.

SFO, FantasticalMagicOne and Skibob like this.
  17. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! I had the spark plugs changed in May at the dealership, so they better be the right ones!

I do have the mini VCI, and will double check their results. It's something I should learn to do anyhow.

I'm not too fond of letting them do it either, but I did so on Pop's advice. Said if they'd do it sooner, then let them, but don't take a verbal answer. Look at the print out and make darn sure it came from that machine! My other half agreed with him, because of course he did, and is covering the cost of the test because I am refusing to give them another red cent. Outside to what I've agreed to, of course.

This guy seems a bit more agreeable than the last guy, and has stated several times that he doesn't want to see us dumping a lot of money into diagnostics when the engine or car can be replaced with those funds. We'll know soon enough whether or not he's being genuine. In the meantime, I'll probably conference my step-dad in on all the calls. I'm sure that helped quite a bit. :sneaky:

18. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Machine? As far as I know you read the numbers off the gage then input them into a computer.

SFO likes this.
  19. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I only know what pop's said on that one. This is uncharted territory for me.

20. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That’s cool. I just say be there. Then there is no doubt about the numbers or what was done.