1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

From o2 sensor to engine replacement in 10 days?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FantasticalMagicOne, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some TV stations like a local human interest story. You may even get the dealers to respond. They hate bad local press coverage.

2. FantasticalMagicOne

FantasticalMagicOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @padroo

I don't use facebook, but I'm sure I can reactivate my account.

@Prodigyplace

There are a few news stations I can contact, but no on in my area will be surprised by this, and I doubt it would be considered newsworthy. I wouldn't get a refund, I'd get on Talkback 16!

#462 FantasticalMagicOne, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Prodigyplace likes this.
  3. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure everyone will be astonished to learn that Corporate has failed to meet the expectation set with me regarding their return call. We know that the dealerships stands by their misdiagnosis, that I opted to skip contacting my regional office, and instead went straight to corporate. Their initial lack of action and current lack of response leads me to believe that they are unlikely to acknowledge me or my recent experience with two authorized Toyota dealership service departments. Is it a waste of time to contact them again and follow up on their potential decision? Or should I attempt to contact someone in a higher position?

Expecting an answer of "no" isn't the same as receiving it. My written account is still in the editing stage (it's currently 11 pages), and I want the conclusion before I make it public.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  4. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Keep on trying. Don't make it easy for corporate to shake you off. That's their tactic, but don't give in. Provided you have time and energy for this and the potential reward is worth it to you, keep going. What they did to you is simply terrible and I am sure you are not the only one who's been dealt with this way. Dealer service departments are notoriously bad in so many ways (and not just Toyota, it's a systemic problem). If you can't get any of your money back, then at least raise awareness of the neighbors who patronize the places that they may not be the most competent or have the best intentions for the customer. It's the only way to make them pay attention. Bad PR, shining the light onto the crap they provide in place of service.

Also, contact better business bureau. I think you have a great case.

FantasticalMagicOne likes this.
  5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know that it is worth blazing a new trail (meaning finding a different/higher rep within corporate) but rather I suggest persistence with the contact you've currently made.

Look at it this way- anyone there you reach needs to contact the service managers at these two dealers and gather information. Those service managers may need to drill down to other people within their own organizations. That all takes time. I think they were awfully optimistic in suggesting they'd have a useful report for you in the time frame they set forth. Yes, that's another mark against the royal "them," but it's hardly the worst of this saga. So, I suggest that you initiate a follow-up contact tomorrow and keep chipping away.

Further suggestion: 11 pages is a lot! Maybe consider knocking out a one-page abstract as a cover sheet?

6. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can make the time, but the effort required eventually won't be worth the sum in question. I know I have a great case, but unless a lawyer is willing to take this case pro bono, we won't obtain one. The sum paid is an astronomical amount for a sensor replacement, but not enough to justify paying an attorney's retainer. I know that pursuing this on principle alone would be enough, but if I had the funds for that, then I wouldn't be driving an 11 year old car. For me, this isn't just financial. The precariousness state my vehicle was in when they returned my keys with the reassurance that it was safe to drive is egregious. They exponentially exacerbated the risk of an accident that would result in serious injuries or fatalities, twice. There isn't a sum that can be thrown my way that will every make up for that. The negligence, willful or not, in not test driving the car after the work was complete, came with a high emotional price that cannot be repaid. But that portion of this debacle is moot. The fact is that test driving the vehicle would have determined the defectiveness of the sensor or it's installation, doesn't matter which. At that point, I would have obtained one from their parts department (at twice the cost), and paid for the labor again. An expensive lesson, for sure, but one that would have maintained the stability and dependability of the car.

7. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  8. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will take the steps to follow up with them. The written account is being edited due to it's length. I just started typing what I could remember, and I'm going to have to choose from the myriad of car related events that have occurred in the last two months.

9. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
  10. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I called corporate again and was told that an escalated case was created, is being investigated, and the team leader assigned to my case had left for the day (convenient), but the man I spoke with offered the promise of a call tomorrow (I see a pattern). Perhaps the written account of my experience will be one or two pages by the time I get called back. :ROFLMAO:

Thank you for the link, A.G. Shapiro might be among the first to receive a copy of my novel.

11. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Corporate called me back and she said "I understand you're having engine trouble." Uh, no. I started to explain the situation and the call dropped. I was driving through the mountains, and drove through a small dead zone (1 or 2 minutes without service). A voicemail awaited me with a message to call her back at the corporate phone number without leaving me her extension. I called back and waited on hold for about 15 minutes, the rep who answered put me on hold to see if the supervisor was available and I was told she wasn't. I said I was just speaking with her and have been trying to resolve this matter, which was met with "you waited 20 minutes to call back." I've been on hold for that time. The best that could be done at that point was to ensure I would be called in 1 business day (Monday). I ask the rep if she could put a note in my account, and she said yes. "Good, tell her I'm ready to contact my Attorney General over this, and I'm sick of being brushed off by Toyota, and her not taking the time to review the notes of my case before calling me, more than 24hours after the last time Toyota guaranteed me a next business day phone call, tells me that she has no intention of investigating this case, let alone helping me." I don't think I'm going to get anywhere with them. The case was escalated because the problem was resolved with the solution I had before they started having me pay for the privilege of being put in danger.

It should be noted that I use a hands free device while driving, and do not support driving while being on the phone if you don't have one.

12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Tough to manage on a mobile link in the hills of PA. Lots of excellent 5G coverage* here too.

Yeah, time to take it to the AG. I think your case meets a few of the thresholds they care about.

* Naturally by 5G coverage I mean complete dropouts. This guy is being wasted working at state level, should be next director of FCC. Heck, I wish the other 49 states had one this good.

13. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, drove about 300 miles today and my mpg increased to about 47mpg, keeping in mind that most of that time was spent traveling through the mountains. The battery maintained it's power, the regenerative braking working exactly as it should, and the car accelerated just fine. I did lose power climbing a steep hill close to home, but driving around for a bit restored the charge. The drop in power made me nervous, despite me knowing that happens when you climb hills that steep, but the last two months.. Anyway, I ran techstream to put my mind at ease and this came back. My mechanic cleared the codes when he changed the sensor and the car didn't do anything out of the norm, so I'm not sure what to make of it.
    upload_2019-2-15_23-41-31.png

14. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That particular area only has a small drop, and there is a large dead zone where I was going, so I pulled into a gas station and waited to speak to her. After that, I headed toward the 30 miles stretch where no one is reachable, via any service. I wasn't worried about missing their call, as I knew I wasn't going to get one. I read about that guy, and I was happy to learn that he existed.

I've a feeling that my A.G. is going to love this.

15. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That P0A0D means there is a problem with the traction battery interlock switch or with the interlock on the inverter cover.

16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As Patrick said.

Check the interlock lever is flipped up and then pressed down vertically to lock it. Wouldn't think this is the problem if you can drive it, but it doesn't hurt to check.
    Prius Saftey Interlock.jpg
    If that checks out ok, remove the interlock and confirm it was reassembled correctly after you took the two bolts out. Check the fuse that is in it too, that it is good. Use a ohmmeter to check continuity.

I have attached the Inspection procedure for the P0A0D, for more detail.

Attached Files:

17. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: Toyota called back and didn't allow me the opportunity to go over the events that took place. Said that there would be no reimbursement and Toyota was closing my case. I said that's a mistake because two of your authorized dealerships refused to do the repair that I asked them repeatedly to do, and I don't believe it wise to send the message that Toyota now practices having their customers pay them to be placed in danger. She said that if I wanted to pursue it further that I was more than welcome to, but it wouldn't include Toyota. I said, I'm going to contact my attorney general and corporate will be included. She repeated that Toyota wouldn't be involved. I said, you didn't hear me, all 3 components of Toyota involved here will be included. I contacted you about this, and Corporate didn't do so much as encourage them to look at the obvious problem. She said, I'll note your account, I said that will solve nothing.

Also, my mechanic didn't clear the codes like I thought he did. He said he didn't plug in his reader because there were no lights on. I cleared it, turned off the car, waited a few minutes and turned it back on to run the diagnostic again, and it didn't throw the interlock code.

#477 FantasticalMagicOne, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Prodigyplace likes this.
  18. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Not surprised w/ the outcome you received from Corporate. They know you don't have the resources to take them to court or adversely affect their stock price. That is the way big corporations view the consumer.

Only a big event with adverse media attention will make them change. Recall the 2009 death of the CHP officer Saylor, and his family, with a brief 911 call that was played back many times over Nationally. Sadly, this was the game changing event that forced Toyota to respond because 1) law enforcement officer and our general support for them 2) gripping audio just before the family's death (dad, mom, daughter, mom's brother).
    Lexus Crash: An Avoidable Tragedy - Autoblog
    Toyota Settles Over Death of Family in High-Speed Crash - The New York Times

Your only recourse is to file a complaint w/ your State's AG (Attorney General), as post #469 says.
    Goto the online consumer complaint form. Consumer Complaint – PA Office of Attorney General
    Be aware, they probably get tons of complaints and will be selective on they pursue.

Good luck.