1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

From o2 sensor to engine replacement in 10 days?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FantasticalMagicOne, Dec 29, 2018.

1. FantasticalMagicOne

FantasticalMagicOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So how do I get the gauge to read correctly? Does it just happen on it's own after time passes?

It is overcast today, so perhaps that's what it is. I'll have to check it again when it's sunny. A few said to replace the 12V, one noting especially if it's ever been jump started.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How does the car run now, is it still running rough etc ?
    Doesn't sound good, might be a good time to remove some of the plastic bits on the left and right rear areas and see what there is to smell. Might even clean up the HV battery fan while you're in there.
    The vodka was placed lightly on the toothbrush, which was then used on the throttle plate and surrounding area. Bet you could use 80% or higher rubbing alcohol to the same effect.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds loud, but charging battery when idling. Seemed to idle longer that normal. The gas light still flashing, so I'm afraid to take it for a spin until I get more gasoline. Probably tomorrow as the nearest gas station is 1.5 miles from here, and I've two 7 year olds that would have to walk with me in 35° weather (which always feels colder here because of mountain living). As sure as I am that they'd be willing to get out of this house (they've been stuck too), sunset is in an hour and there aren't sidewalks on the main roads around here (which I consider abhorrent), and people drive like maniacs here.

I know the area in which you speak, but how would I know what there is to smell? Also, where is and how do I clean the HV battery fan?

I have 93% rubbing alcohol on hand, would this be just for the throttle plate? Meaning, I'd still require the MAF cleaner?

4. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, I've been reading up on the water issue and some report that water was under the seats and advise pulling them out and checking.
    Can water be causing my power problem? It's no secret that water and electricity don't mix. Is it possible for water to have gotten in/around the HV battery?

The water was high enough to pool on top of the donut, but the area didn't appear to be as flooded as some report (maybe a gallon of water was removed, but that's a guestimate).

My mechanic friend didn't get back to me about whether or not the 12v was wet or if it had just moved under the battery when I was driving (I can see that the leak is coming in from the driver side). There was definitely water in that area though.

And what now that there is only the Solar Sensor Circuit code is being thrown? Does this mean that the o2 sensor code was inaccurate?

Also, when I went back out to start the car (after SFO asked how it ran), the last fuel bar was still blinking (as I mentioned above). I'm confused how I could be low on fuel if I didn't drive anywhere or run the ICE.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably worth pulling the battery cover to inspect for corrosion

Data Daedalus and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe adding fuel (at least 3 gallons? fillup?) corrects the issue. The computer is not sure what the level is after disconnecting the battery,

I believe @Raytheeagle or @bisco know.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  7. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll add a gallon from my gas can and then go fill her up after. Running low on fuel scares me, and if I did somehow burn through fuel then I don't want to chance getting there with the gauge reading so low. I am afraid of traveling back though, there's no way to get to my house without traveling up a steep incline.

8. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The HV battery? I figured I'd pull the seats to check if there is water and take a look at it while the seats are out. I can use some guidance as to how to do this. I've never pulled the seats before.

9. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mechanic friend just got back to me and said that the 12v was wet.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This shows you how to remove the traction battery.

Get some high voltage gloves. If you have water in that battery you could get killed quite easily.

11. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thank you, I have found lots of tutorials on removing the traction battery since I made my inquiry, but I'm going to take in as many as I can before I remove to examine it.

I'm curious if I'd be better off checking the battery with a multimeter or techstream? Can techstream do a load test? I've seen that it can test volt and ohms, but nothing about amps. Am I missing something? Keeping in mind that I am super new to techstream. I'm not sure where my multimeter is, but if it's the better option then I've no problem hunting it down.

Now that it's been confirmed that the 12v did get wet, what do I do with that information? Does this mean I need to replace it?

I took a screen shot from another poster's remark about the water. How do I check the floor pans? Or is it something that I shouldn't worry about as I park on an incline and the water would run to the back of the car? The water level in mine doesn't seem to be as high as others have noted, and there's no corrosion that I could find. I just want to be sure that there's no water where there shouldn't be water. It's no secret that water and electric do not mix.

View attachment 163270

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, the water pools at the base and the case is waterproof. you do need to test it though, if you haven't already
    and seal the leaks

13. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If your smelling burning something got wet. And remember you also go downhill so that water gets around.

14. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't tested either battery. Can I test the 12V with techstream as well? Or is it best to use the hidden service menu?

15. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed, but not sure where to look.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you can. best is a simple volt meter on the jump point under the hood, in the morning before starting the car

17. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What I’d do now that you know you have a water leak is pull the drain plugs to avoid future issues;).

3 gallons is what it’ll take to change the gas gauge reading. You don’t have a 5 gallon can and another car or friend to help:whistle:?

If the water covered the spare, it’s possible it soaked other components. Some of the hv wiring probably got wet:(.

Before pulling the cover, I’d do the following:
    • Fill the Prius with gas
    • Take Techstream with you looking at the hv battery voltages
    • Watch the performance of the individual blocks and see what you get
    • Monitor for codes and investigate anything that pops up
    Good luck and keep us posted (y).

#77 Raytheeagle, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  18. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect that I have the same cargo leak like the one here. This is the first I've heard about oiling the drain plugs???
    https://attachments.priuschat.com/attachment-files/2016/01/99777_Gen_2_Prius_Water_Leak.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1ywwwwjqQp5U_zzwci5EG5a46g1cqSSj9_Eu7ayqcaCgD5rvlfPlJJKUI

I do not. I believe I have a 1 gallon, but know a place near the gas station that sells a 2 gallon. Would it not be okay to get a gallon (or two) then drive 1.5 to the gas station to fill up?

The water didn't cover the spare, but it was pooled in the middle, kind of where I circled here in red (my MS Paint skills have never been on point). I couldn't find a stock photo of the donut I have, but it was pooled in some spots and not submerged (if that makes any difference?).

upload_2019-1-3_22-16-44.png

Take techstream with me? Meaning drive around with it? Codes will pop up as I'm driving?

I was under the impression that I'd have to run the test like this:

#78 FantasticalMagicOne, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  19. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had fully intended to test the HV before opening it up. Doesn't make much sense to go through all of that if I need to refurbish/balance or get a new module. I've no desire to do it twice.

20. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the loud sound coming from the new exhaust/cat/muffler?

The long idle was the engine fully warming up after having sat (most likely), or the if the heater/defrost was on, or if the HV battery was at a low SOC.

Not sure that driving is a good idea at this point (given what you've described above), and the fact that you mentioned smelling 'something electrical burning' in the rear interior area. If the smell was external in origin, we might assume it was coming from the new cat/muffler work performed.
    Start by removing the same plastic bits that would be removed when replacing or inspecting the HV battery. Do a visual look around for any plastic bits, electronics and wires that remain (not much really), then follow with your nose. Most melting/burning bits that have plastic will continue to 'stink' after the damage is done, of course it is winter and many noses may not work properly. If you don't see or smell anything obvious, I would pull off the cover on the HV battery and look for something in there as well (taking any/all needed safety precautions, like removing the orange safety disconnect for example).
    The HV battery fan is just forward of the 12v battery behind the same plastic trim that you may want to remove as per the above. There are many 'how to' links if needed.
    Exactly.

FantasticalMagicOne likes this.