1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

From o2 sensor to engine replacement in 10 days?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FantasticalMagicOne, Dec 29, 2018.

1. FantasticalMagicOne

FantasticalMagicOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It has been sitting, I don't believe the heater/defrost was on, and I'm not sure how to tell if the HV battery was at a low State of Charge. And I'm unsure if it was coming from the new exhaust/cat/muffler. I didn't get out of the car, and I didn't run it for very long.

Yeah, all the lights on the dash being off and no codes being thrown haven't made me feel like it's safe to drive.

My nose is very sensitive to smells, and if the smell remains, I'll find it. I just needed to know where to look.

I have found tutorials on all of this and cleaning the fan has been added to the list of tasks.

#81 FantasticalMagicOne, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The loud sound may have been the engine “relearning” once the 12 volt was reconnected. Other systems will have the same process ;).

I’d figure out if there are any electrical issues and address that(y).

#82 Raytheeagle, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    FantasticalMagicOne likes this.
  3. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think someone had a write up on how to check if the traction battery had a voltage leak. I would recommend you follow it.

4. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I couldn't find my voltage meter, so I ran the hidden service screen test, and it reads 10v, but when I tried to put the car in ready mode - the display went black and the car wouldn't start. I heard a clicking noise coming from the back of the car, so I hit the power button to turn it off and waited a minute or so. Then I attempted to turn it on again, no dice. The interior lights came on and then I heard a clicking noise in the front of the car. So, I turned it off again and exited the car and the car began to beep when I opened the door (as if it were still on) and then it wouldn't lock after I had closed the door. I left it be for a few minutes (5 or 10) and then went back outside to check again, when I opened the door the car began to beep and the interior lights came on. I didn't attempt to start it. I closed the door and waited for the lights to go off and then locked it - they locked this time. The low temp here overnight was 30° and it's currently 40°

As you can see, when I ran the test, the clock came on, and the time was accurate.

[​IMG]

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Time to hook up the trickle charger.

How old is this AGM battery?

6. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I don't have a trickle charger, guess I'll be picking one up soon. I do not know how old the battery is.

7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you don't know how old the battery is then going straight to a new battery might not be a bad idea, skipping over the charger purchase.

You could take it to the local parts jockey and see if they can bring it back to life with their "free battery charging" service.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If your battery is over 5 years old, I would just replace it. Charging it might not really give you much more life on that battery.

9. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can a bad 12v be what's preventing my HV from receiving power?

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First thing you need to do is get the 12v battery either charged up or replaced. Without a proper working 12v battery, it's very hard to diagnose any problems.

Normally the 12v battery is just used to start the electronics on the car, after that the 12v is not really used. It usually isn't the cause for anything abnormal once the car is started.

11. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to opt to charge it first as I don't want to replace the 12v to learn that I can't fix the low power HV issue and have to get rid of it anyway. If I manage to solve the HV problem, after I've charged the 12v, then I'll replace it. I've had the car 3 years, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if the battery is 5 or more years old.

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Prius AGM 12v battery should be charged using up to 10A. There should be AGM battery settings for the newer chargers.

Edit: I meant 10A, not 10V

#92 JC91006, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  13. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been following this thread purely as a silent observer. Because...interesting mystery.
    But Wow...
    Approaching 100 comments, and the problem(s) have gone from speculative 02 sensor and/or engine replacement, to 12 volt and/or HV battery issues. To any combination of any of these things.

I'll go back to silence, because I have no idea.

Hoping for a narrowing down of possibilities, and tangible resolution.
    Or as a mystery...eventually.....case solved.

15. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Yes, it's very bizarre. But I take comfort in knowing that I was right about the oil sludge. :ROFLMAO:o_O

SFO likes this.
  16. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm reading different things in regard to charging the 12v. Some say to take the battery out of the car and then hook it up, while others say to hook it up while it's still in the car, and others that say it should be hooked up under the front panel in the same way you would jump start the car. Help?

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No need to take it out, just hook it up directly to the battery in the back. You can start charging at night, it should be fully charged by the time you wake up. Assuming you're using a 4A - 10A charger.

Be extra careful in noting the positive and negative terminal, you don't want to cross them. It'll blow a few expensive fuses (if you're lucky).

SFO likes this.
  18. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Schumacher 3 Amp 6/12 Volt battery maintainer SP1297

This is what's in stock and it'll be here within the hour.

Do you know of any tutorials I can take a look at for this? I've never done it before and I'd prefer not to blow any fuses or take part in any safety violations.

19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You would have better luck getting a charger at Wal Mart, that one in your link charges at only 3A so it'll be pretty slow. This is used more as a maintainer so your battery won't drain.

It'll work, just very slowly. You probably can do better than $47.99 at Wal-Mart and get a decent charger.

20. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, I haven't gone out for one yet. I should look for one that chargers 10A?

I prefer to avoid Wal-Mart at all costs, but if I have to in order to start this tonight, then I guess I'll just have to suck it up.

#100 FantasticalMagicOne, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019