1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

From o2 sensor to engine replacement in 10 days?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FantasticalMagicOne, Dec 29, 2018.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The chargers are usually multi purpose now, AGM battery setting will automatically be around 4A - 10A.

The charger you referenced above works and is only $29.99 at walmart. It charges at 3A but for what you need it for, it'll work. Just takes longer. When fully charged 12.9+ volts, your battery should be able to hold a charge of at least 12.4+ volts overnight (not being charged). If it can't hold that charge, it'll soon fail.

FantasticalMagicOne likes this.
  2. FantasticalMagicOne

FantasticalMagicOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I can keep it charged long enough to diagnose the other problem and determine the repair cost is reasonable, then I'll replace the AGM as well as taking care of whatever the heck is going on with it.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You can get started right away with the charger you have now. I don't think it's the best unit for what you need done, but I do see a lot of value in having it right there and paid for right now. And by "not the best unit" I mean maybe you wait a bit longer. It doesn't really diminish your overall chance of success.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your battery might just need to be charged now because you keep opening doors, starting the car, having interior lights on.....all that stuff will drain it. Normally you won't do all that stuff to drain your battery.

I think once it's fully charged, it'll be OK

5. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I finally got it hooked up and the electric burning smell was immediately apparent and my other half said he noticed it but not until he put his nose right over the battery. I smelled it before I hooked it up but, as I mentioned before, my nose is very sensitive to smell. How worried should I be about that?

Also, without being able to roll a window down - I don't have an area to run the cord through to keep the car shut (the hatch is currently open), and it's supposed to rain tonight (within the hour) through tomorrow afternoon.

6. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hadn't made the purchase yet, so it wasn't too late to change my mind.

7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would be very worried, and wouldn't drive the vehicle (much less start it) until you have this electrical issue sorted out. That area around the 12v battery is where the warm air exits from the HV battery before going out the passenger wheel well. You need to tear apart the hatch area and look for any tell tale signs of this burning electrical smell, and if seeing none you should take off the HV battery cover and look at the wiring harness.

There are better 'how to" threads and videos out there, but here is a trim removal guide with decent hi-res pictures, it will give you an idea of how easy it is to remove all of the bits: 2004 - 2009 Toyota Prius Plug-and-Play Car Harness Installation Instructions
    Once you have a 12v source attached you can roll down a window, then continue charging from there.

Skibob and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The smell became much stronger when I went to check on it. I'm extremely worried.

I'll be doing that tomorrow depending on when the rain lets up (I don't have a garage).

It's okay to turn it on to roll down a window? Just as long as I don't start it?

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If there are fumes coming from the battery, you should stop charging it. Get a new one

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Should be ok, but try to take care of the window before the engine auto-starts in about 7-10 seconds, then turn it off again.

You could also remove the 12v battery and charge it outside of the vehicle. If you remove the 12v source from the vehicle, be sure to place something over or into the latch mechanism for the hatch, else it will lock and then someone will need to climb over the backseat to remove way to much stuff to get at and pull the interior hatch release lever.

Skibob and Raytheeagle like this.
  11. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was able to get the window down enough to put the extension cord through (outdoor). When I first put the charger on - it read 8.2v and then when I went to move it, it read 12.2. After I took the charger off, moved it to the back seat, rolled down the window, and hooked it back up again - it read 10.2. I waited a few minutes and checked it again and it had jumped up around 12 (can't remember the decimal), the smell was getting stronger and I could smell it more outside the vehicle than in, but the back passenger side where the battery is, so I decided to unplug it and reassess tomorrow. When I did, it read 11.8 (I think it was 8). That seems like a lot of jumping for such a short amount of time.

I'm going to remove the battery tomorrow and hook it back up to the charger. If the smell reappears, then I know it's coming from the battery and I need a new one. Which seems like the best case scenario here.

I'm going tear apart the hatch area to get a look at the wiring either way. I still have that leak problem to deal with and I want to see what kind and how much damage it's caused.

SFO likes this.
  12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You have a bad cell in your battery, stop charging it. Get a new one

It takes hours (overnight) to go from 8v to 12.2v. You did it in a very short time. That battery is toast

13. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any tips on which brand I should pick up? What I should I look at before purchase?

It seems that Bosch and Optima are available locally, but I'll know more tomorrow when I can call places that don't have an online presence.

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bosch and optima are both good enough, get whatever is cheaper

15. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which retailers are local to you?

16. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree jc, it sounds like a dead cell. I had one a couple of years ago with a dead cell. I had it on the charger and checked the voltage right away and the voltage was dropping while I was watching it. It wasn't even attached to anything. Took it back to Sam's Club and the guy said it had a dead cell.

I understand Pep Boys sells a battery made by I believe Exile someone talked about.

Take your old battery with you for the core charge.

FantasticalMagicOne likes this.
  17. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That would be Bosch.

I
    I live by quite a few - A&A Auto, Autozone, NAPA, and Pepboys off the top of my head. The two mom and pop shops I can think of carry carquest and acdelco.

18. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Exide? I haven't come across that one locally, but I believe I read something about it not being for smart key models.

I will bring the other with me.

19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Charge your new battery before you install it. If you already installed it, you can still charge it until it's full before using it

20. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Autozone should have a 20% off coupon (online). Some of the batteries they carry are Johnson Controls Inc products.

Pep Boys also has an online coupon for 25% off (every little bit helps). They sell Champion AGM batteries, which is a JCI product with a 4 year warranty.

Many of those retailers price-match, find a common quality battery and call around if needed.