1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front 12v Power Outlet Failure

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by rogerv, Oct 5, 2013.

1. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Searched but couldn't find this topic..... my front power outlet won't work. I replaced the fuse, and the one inside the console works. I think I shorted something out trying to get a multi-socket device to work. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Some time there are multiple fuses one in the engine bay and in the cabin

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are you still trying to use the multiple outlet device, or is the front outlet not working in it's plain state?

I've found some plugs are a bit short, or don't go far enough into the Prius front power socket. It may seem like there is no power from the socket, but its just not making contact with the power terminal at the very bottom of the socket.

SCH-I535 now Free

Douglaston-NY likes this.
  4. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Front one isn't working at all. The one under the armrest works fine, with or without a multi-socket adapter. The fuse for power outlets is listed as #3 in fuse panel under the driver's side dash. Both outlets were out until I replaced the mini fuse (15 amp.)

5. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Isn't this the kind of thing you just take in to dealer and tell them to fix it under warranty?

6. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That Sounds like a great idea, but the sometimes if they determine the fault was because of you, the dealerships charges a 130$ "diagnostics fee" which is mostly the.

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You might have to take it apart. The wiring might have been damaged before the fuse blew. 15 amps is a lot of current, and from what I understand, the wires going to the power outlet are pretty thin gauge.

8. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Turns out that there are two fuses, #3 for the power outlet in the console and #1 (marked "Cig" in the manual) for the power outlet in the lower front area between the heated seat switches. (Or if #3 affects the front one you also need #1.) Hint: the mini fuses are TINY, and the fuse puller tool is in the engine bay fuse box.
    I went to my local dealer and told them that I am certain that I caused the problem by trying to use a faulty adapter, and didn't expect it to be covered by warranty. The parts counter guy suggested I talk to the shop foreman, whom I've known for years. He knew right away what the problem was and had a tech replace the fuse at no charge. Good thing, because you have to be a bit of a contortionist to get to the under-dash fuse panel! So I really got lucky!!:D

Douglaston-NY and retired4999 like this.
  9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Great service! Glad you got it sorted out.

rogerv likes this.