1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front and Rear Brake Pads OEM?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ednorton, Nov 22, 2021.

1. ednorton

ednorton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    How important is it to get Genuine Toyota Parts for Brake Pads? I know that Bosh pads get really good ratings, but they are only about 15-20 dollars cheaper? Just stick with toyota? Also is it necessary to change anti-squeal and shim kit? I have a 2012 with 120000. Thanks for any input!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's one thing I do accomplish is to make sure I get all the brake spring and hardware the chrome stuff replaced and it's always there those pads need to float up and down in those spring clips the ears or the indents on the carrier those clips need to be there once you remove those the noise can start and the irritating nonsense that everybody's trying to avoid those keep your pads floating I use Bosch pads all the time I also use oh Jesus I think it's the Wagner import something and it comes with the shims and everything already on them and they're in $35 maybe but they do well

SM-A715F ?

3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    WHY get cheap pads? How long will they last???
    You've gone 120,000 miles. They've been proven to work and last.
    Are you replacing front and rear?

You don't really need to get new shims. It's not a bad idea.
    I use the brake anti-squeal past along with the shims. I just clean them up.
    I use a wire brush on all the places the pads touch the caliper.

Make sure you clean the slide pine and put new grease on them.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    All good after a few years of heat cycling 12 bux for a nice new set of spring clips seems appropo..

SM-A715F ?

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For the pins I've been using Sil-Glyde Brake Lubricant (looks like Vaseline), and for contact points and shims Permatex Anit-Seize (silver paste grease).