1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front and Rear Bumper guards

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by DiamonD12, Jul 10, 2012.

1. DiamonD12

DiamonD12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just bought the 20102 Gen III Prius IV. I do not have a proper garage and have to rely on street (parallel) parking. And I am sure I will get hit from the front or the back soon. I am looking to get some transparent protections so that my bumpers don't get hit directly. I looked at clearmask 3M products and some of them were quite pricey. Before I buy something I will like to know what the rest of the Prius community suggest? Please fill me in.

Thanks

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Clear bra material really isn't going to protect your car from people who "touch park" their cars--it's meant to help minimize rock chips, etc.

3. DiamonD12

DiamonD12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So what do you suggest?

4. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Honestly, nothing.

I've seen some cars that have a rubber blanket hanging off the rear bumper (with names like Bumper Protector, etc.), which to me look worse than any dings caused by touch parking idiots.

5. zeoth

zeoth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Actually you will be "protected" from touch parkers except for those with license plate screws that will cut into the material. Depending on how hard they hit, the 3M may or may not stop it.

Now generally I would say put the 3M in the front since the chances of rear license plate screws damaging the front is next to 0%. However for the rear, they have a flip guard that gets attached inside the trunk. What you do is flip it out after you park.... kind of like this: Bumper Badger, bumper guard, bumper protector, rear bumper guard, rear bumper protector, bumperbadger, bumperbadger.com, bumper protection

6. tsair

tsair Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Honestly, just rent a garage space.

7. NargilFenris

NargilFenris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That might not be an option with where he lives. If it was I'm sure he would have mentioned it.

akh1685 likes this.
  8. Mikawa

Mikawa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This I did! Best thirty bucks/mo I've thought of. I got my car out of a downhill and congested street parking, I get shaded & gated parking, plus I get a locked storage cabinet thrown in for free. All for $1/day!

9. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I doubt that scuff preventing film will save your bumper guard from careless parker's, although it can prevent or minimize stone chips on the front bumper. The problem with parking incidents is that the foam beneath the plastic bumper guard crushes easily, causing splits in the, less flexible, paint. If the force is sufficient, it tears in the plastic cover as the foam beneath is compressed. This type of damage is a characteristic of lightweight, impact absorbing, platic bumper covers and isn't peculiar to the Prius.

10. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fabricate a pair of steel tubing bumper guards with spikes welded onto them. Go ahead and bump my car now a-holes.

Mike [​IMG]

NargilFenris likes this.
  11. nomoreow

nomoreow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try this front, from "BumpShox" about $30+ bucks shipped from their site.
    [​IMG]
    And for the Rear protection, try this from "Pacer Performance 25-535 Black Bumper Protector Pad Kit" About $12 bucks (I'm using this for my 2012 Mini Van)
    Come in BLACK or SILVER or paint your own color with 3M stick-on backing from Amazon.com
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Or like Mike Said above "With Spikes" frame (made from Die-Cast) from local Walmarts $10 bucks.
    Sure will leave some holes on the other car.
    [​IMG]

12. krazypriuslady

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Humphrey Balboa likes this.
  13. BubbleDogs

BubbleDogs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My first winter with Prius V, and I drove too far ahead to hit the snow ploughed on the front of the the parking slot. And I noticed this "scratch." I was shocked! The snow must have been frozen or there might have been stones or rocks. Any suggestions what I should do? Thanks!

Attached Files:

14. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Find a good shop and vinyl wrap that part. It will be cheaper than paint and can be replaced the next time you oops :(

Mike

BubbleDogs likes this.