1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Blinkers not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PuffyWiggles, Oct 6, 2021.

1. PuffyWiggles

PuffyWiggles Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    So I think I have a unique issue I hope you guys can help with. My front two blinkers dont work. The obvious problem when looking at it is that they aren't hooked up, in fact the previous owners seemed to have cut the cables to them. Now heres the odd thing, these blinkers worked up until this year when I had to change the light bulb on my front lights (not the blinkers).

So two questions, one, how would the blinkers have possibly worked before? Is there a dual light setup that allows front lights to also act as blinkers in one bulb? If not, ill have to rewire this, which brings the next question. What exactly would I need and how dangerous is this? (I figure there must have been a good reason for the lights to have been cut to begin with).

Picture posted to show exactly what it looks like. To the right is the cut wires in a harness with black tape and then I believe the bigger hole to the left would be the female attachment for the blinker. Not sure what the far left, smaller female attachment is supposed to be.

Other info, 2008 Prius base model. Not sure if I need to add anything else.

Attached Files:

2. Dangrenade

Dangrenade New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    I
    My guess is the plugged hole on the left is for an accessory that your version doesn’t have. I also guess that this is a replacement housing (that the previous owner installed), which should have had a lighting accessory available on your car, but didn’t, so the owner just snipped off the harness that went to that lighting accessory.

as for why your blinkers don’t work, someone else will need to answer. Are your bulbs the correct bulbs? Burned out? It should be only a two wire harness. Is it?

3. Dangrenade

Dangrenade New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    I
    One more thing: make sure the lamp housing connections aren’t corroded. If they are, clean (sand) and grease.

4. Dangrenade

Dangrenade New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I crawled under my Prius and took a look.

Those (now cut) wires of your go to the fog lamps, which are (bizarrely) hard wired into my lamp housing, which explains why the previous owner cut them when he replaced the housing.

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There "should" be more wiring harness around there somewhere that has two connectors on it. One should go to the larger bulb socket for the turn signal (blinker). Another goes to the smaller socket for the parking light (aka the corner marker light).

If you removed the light housing to do the headlight bulbs, maybe the wires fell down and are trapped below the housing?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.