1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front bra for 2018 Prius any problems

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by ralphgonegolfing, Jul 19, 2019.

1. ralphgonegolfing

ralphgonegolfing Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just installed A Labra black cover for front of my 2018 white Prius. It is a 2 piece cover and looks really good. It was very easy to install. There are 6 cutouts you have to make for the 4 scanners in the bumper and 2 in the Grille for a 2018. Older models I guess don’t have The scanners so cutouts aren’t needed.

Just wondering if anyone has had any issues after a Lebra is on for a while.

Thanks

2. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    The reason we don't see those black bras anymore is because folks found that they were damaging the paint. There was a time, over a decade ago(?), where they were very common.

Clear bras are the way to go these days.

Arctic_White and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The black bras are more stylish, but yes, they can discolor/damage the paint due to mold. I got the same LeBra but I haven't had time to install it yet (just received it). The Mfr instructions warn not to leave the bra on if it gets wet, or if the vehicle is going to be in storage for a long time.

I wonder if applying a clear bra underneath would prevent damage?

#3 ice9, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  4. Stangar

Stangar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Back in the day, these were mainly for road trip use and not meant to be kept on the car for any length of time. Moisture and dirt caught between the cover and paint caused damage over the long term. The damage being paint discoloration and no longer shiny paint (turns cloudy). Clear bra is really the only way to go but, pricey.

krmcg and Mambo Dave like this.
  5. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Understood and agree - road trips only. However I thought the main problem was moisture, and I was hoping that a clear bra would fix that problem. I will ask again: Does the clear bra prevent damage? Specifically, does it actually prevent moisture from being trapped underneath? If it doesn't, I don't see how it would be any better than a vinyl bra.

Also, back in the day, factory coating wasn't what it is today. Now most cars get a fairly durable clear-coat applied at the factory, which helps to fix the dull paint and discoloration problem - it can be polished out.

6. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What, there's a bra available? I wish I would've known that a month ago..we just went on a long road-trip from Colorado to Maine and back...just under 5,000 miles. The front was plastered with bugs but I used a bug sponge and Turtle Wax bug and tar remover on it and it all came right off after a couple of passes. Gosh, the last car I had a bra on was a 1989 Chevy Z-24...it was silver and the black bra looked awesome! (I loved that car but the POS Chevy engine seized up at just 102K miles and I babied that engine...she was my last Chevy EVER)