1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front brake locked up

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rob F Schmitz, Feb 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Rob F Schmitz

Rob F Schmitz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Last week, I was taking the wife to the airport and the first 50 miles of highway went well. After taking an entrance ramp to an bisecting highway, while accelerating, there was a sound like a helicopter right over us, this wopwopwop sound and a slight vibration. To be safe, I drove back roads home and rarely exceed 40mph. From time to time I would hear the sound slightly at higher speeds.

The car sat for a few days and I took it out yesterday for a short, 1/2 mile trip and as I was returning, the car felt sluggish. As I approached a light and slowed, I heard the right front brake sound like it was grabbing. The 70 degree weather allowed for open windows and as I went through the light, I smelled the dragging brake heating up. I was just a block from the house so parked it.

Will get it towed next week but has anyone else experienced this? Mileage is 85k +/-.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not that i can recall, do they salt the roads much there? the caliper slide pins will freeze if not checked and lubed periodically, because the regen prevents regular brake usage.

Rob F Schmitz likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    With the wheel off, it isn't hard to check with a wiggle whether those slide pins move freely, and not much harder to also check the free motion and the self-return of the piston. (We all talk about the slide pins a lot here, and sometimes overlook that the piston is also a big thing that needs to slide easily, and has much more surface area than the pins to bind up, and can cause very serious dragging if it does.)

The piston's free motion and its return are two different tests, by the way. The only thing that makes it return (by about a third of a mm) when you stop braking is the elasticity of its rubber seal (the square-cut one inside the cylinder, not the dust seal you can see). When that rubber has turned glassy, the piston might not feel actually bound up and hard to move, but can still stop being pulled back on its own when you're not braking.

If you drove for some distance with enough drag to make a toasted-brake smell, the rubber in there is probably pretty well done now, even if the problem started some other way. The rubber kit isn't very expensive though.

-Chap

Rob F Schmitz likes this.
  4. Tjohn

Tjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Could be the caliper sliding has rust or corrosion on it. Needs liquid Nickle lubricant

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    #3 explains things to check and how. There are a few specified lubricants for the different parts.

6. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A

If the front brake is grabbing in any way, it would pull on the steering wheel. You would definitely notice this.
    A slight drag would "smoke" the pads.

Sliders in the calipers is the most common cause and an easy DIY repair with a bit of disassembly and grease [you don't even need to bleed the brakes]
    Another cause is "flap" inside the brake hoses.

To check for brake grabbing ,just park it on level ground in neutral with the park brake off ,and try push it forward and backwards [you will feel the resistance.
    The wopwopwop sound and a slight vibration sounds like a tire de-lamination [or not running true]
    Jack the car up and spin all the wheels and look carefully.
    Sonetimes this sound goes away/ or changes on different road surfaces

7. Shahid Uddin Mahamud

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When cars are parked for some day with parking brake applied then brake pad & rotor or brake shoe & drum may stuck. Then while driving brake drags. Sometimes after a short driving it may freed from dragging if not then you have to service brake.