1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Brake Rotor Stuck?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by thebanks2003, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Los

Los Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had my rotors Rusted and stuck on my 2007 I just purchased, I went to get new tires and the mechanic called me over to show me all the dirt that fell on the floor, as if it was stuck in mud. So I went to autozone got new pads and rotors. It was impossible to remove the rotors because they were so badly weld/rusted on. I went to youtube and found an awesome video on removing them. Youtube search "Remove Rusted Brake Rotors ( Easy for any car or truck )" and this guys technique got my rotors off just like the video. I went to home depot and got 2 sets of 8MM Nuts, Washers and Bolt, all under $5. Totally worth it. The Rotor made a Huge PONG sound and fell to the ground when it popped off that's how much pressure was on there.

Hope that video helps someone, it sure helped me.

Los

2. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i like the music and theatrical sound effects, there's a lot more room to work with in a full size pickup than a compact car. but only the rear hubs can spin freely, how do you spin the front rotors of a prius you are working on?, especially if you followed everybody's advice and disconnected the neg battery terminal before doing brake work.

does the prius rotors and drums have threaded holes on the outside face so you can screw in some bolts to force the rotors and drums off the hub? That's a manufacturer's way of saying, "We're thinking of you, customer"

my 2 prius are at 50K and 70K so I haven't even had the need for this yet, but w/o regen braking my corolla is probably due for pads and rotors and the setup is probably similar.

one of the stupidest things I have ever seen on a car were the rusty screws honda likes to put into their rotors, I personally like to use these little things called lug nuts to hold my wheels on, I guess honda assumes their customers won't be using lug nuts and when their wheels fall off they want to make sure the rotors are secured to the hub with rusty screws.

Besides having to fill our transaxle fluid sideways I personally have little complaints about the way toyotas are engineered. my beef with toyotas is with their parts, often times you need a $20 part but are forced to buy a $300 part because they want to make money selling you things you don't need, which hurts your pocket book and he environment.