1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Brakes / Calipers sticking temporarily?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by CharlesPrius, Aug 21, 2018.

1. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought it was a suspension problem, but I got 4 new struts/shocks 5k miles ago. Then my thought was that it's the front bearings (they probably are), but this specific sound only happens for a few moments after releasing the brakes, while driving. It's more of something I can "feel" than "hear" - just like something's slightly bumping in the front suspension area. But it goes away after a 10-20 seconds or so of driving resumption.

Separately, I also think I need new bearings..?? I think that's the awful (yet, at this point, slight) creaking sound when going slowly over a large hump or culvert/drainage channel such as we have all over the place here in the desert. Especially while the wheel is turnt also

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe the pads are sticking to the rotor and when you move it leaves some material on the pad.
    After so many rotations it remove that material.
    The creaking sound could be a ball joint. Check the boots and see if they have torn and the grease
    has been washed out.
    A worn strut can also make a creaking sound.

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Relubing pins should always be first thing to do when your hear creaks, then go to struts, bearings and shocks.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks guys. Struts/shocks should be fine, all were replaced 5k ago. They said control arms looked good too. I'm not in a location/position to be able to do underbody work but all of this info is great for when I bring it in to my mechanic.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How many miles on it? Have the caliper slide pins ever been relubed? If so, would you know what was used?

Just one possibility.

Raytheeagle likes this.