1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front bumper bra, Which brand is best?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by problemchild, Jun 6, 2008.

1. freshmtt

freshmtt Dachshund Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OMG, I am still so very confused about what to put on the front of the hood.. :confused::confused::confused:

I have been reading all of these posts and have debated back and forth, put and order in for the Colgan Bra, then canceled it, can't afford the 3M clear Bra, want something on the hood, not so much for the bumper as it is not as important as the protection to the hood, don't really care for the deflector as much as the Bra, want something to look nice on it,, maybe I will just get the Bra cover for the hood only??? OMG,, I am so confused....

I'm getting my windows tinted Saturday, and I'll worry about the hood at a later time, I think I have narrowed it down to just the Bra cover for the hood, but want to put something protective under it like someone on here just said they did, put some kind of film on the hood first and then put the bra cover over it???

2. Austin50mpg

Austin50mpg Prius Driving Right Winger

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ill agree to that and even give chris the last word.

Let me guess...fugly?

3. freshmtt

freshmtt Dachshund Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Austin50mpg could you post some close up pics if you have any of your deflector?? It looks like it would be hard to wash under it and wax that area right where the deflector is protecting? Do you take off the deflector every time you wash the car?, Does it irritate you or get in your way when you are trying to clean and wash the hood that is being covered up in that area??

4. stedman98

stedman98 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok. I like the look. Clear film then a bra. Where did you get the cheaper film? Is is pre-cut? I would guess not at that price.

5. PROFINISH

PROFINISH New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You could pick up a hood and mirror kit for a hundred bucks shipped and install it yourself. it's not all that hard.

6. Austin50mpg

Austin50mpg Prius Driving Right Winger

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Do a search on Prius Chat for hood protector and you will probably see some close ups. Otherwise I will try to post some close ups on a different thread.

No problem washing the car. You can get a mitt or sponge in the area under the deflector. I am a firm believer from experience that nicely maintained clear coats never need wax. Then again I live where it does not snow or ice often. And if it does, the whole city shuts down and you leave the car in the garage. If I did want to wax my car, I suppose I am not as anal as some and would not see a reason to wax under the hood protector. However, you can remove and replace the hood protector very easily if you wanted to.

Removing the vinyl bra every time you want to wash your car is a pain. Many years ago I had a bra on my firebird. I hated removing the bra cleaning the car, let the bra warm up in the sun, replace the bra routine.

7. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ok, I'll agree to disagree.
    Just one last word (well, two and a couple sentences)

[​IMG] =HOT!

[​IMG] =NOT!
    Will you stop calling it 'appearance enhancing hood protector'!! :)
    You don't wax? That's crazy!!! Every true car enthusiast knows wax is part of the routine!

For real though. Your car does looks good Austin. Just a difference of specific opinions

8. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    On Ebay, Xtremecity has a PRE-CUT FULL kit for about $41, includes shipping. I mean the FULL kit, mirrors, hood (only up to just below the headlights) entire front bumper to include all the way to each wheel well (underneath the curved split that separates the body proper from the plastic bumper).

I also bought an uncut 20ft roll for $50 approximately.
    The product isn't Venturshield 3M or Clearshield, and I don't think there's a warranty on it.
    Since it's under the huge Toyota bra, I don't care if there is no warranty.

ZC1

9. clifford

clifford Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think I said it before but I will say it again.
    Colgan bra with 3m under for the best protection including rear view mirrors.