1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front bumper cover crack repair

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sciencekit, Oct 7, 2011.

1. sciencekit

sciencekit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a vertical crack in a lower portion of my front bumper cover. Three inch crack in a some what hidden area. While at Northern Tool today, I noticed a plastic welder setup (with an assortment of plastic rods) for $70... and thought DIY!

Has anyone performed this procedure before and do any of you know which plastic/polymer the front bumper cover is constructed of? Thanks.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's a bunch of Prius bumper reapirs on You Tube using a hairdryer.

Most body shops use this:

3M

3. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The mobile bumper repair service that one of my local dealers uses for their used cars, charges less than $200 to repair most minor to moderate bumper damage. And that price includes doing whatever paintwork needed bring the bumper to like-new condition.

For just a small amount more, I would consider having the job done professionally.

4. sciencekit

sciencekit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info fellas. Think I will do it myself. More fun that way. :D Besides, I have 185K on my 2004. Not worth much if I sell it and definitely wouldn't trade it in. So I am not worried about perfect, just want to repair the crack. Cars are tools to me, nothing more. My typical MO is to buy a car and drive it until the wheels fall off. Once, quite literally. :) Well, one wheel anyway.

For $70 I can have my own plastic welder. For this project and for any future endeavors. Besides, it might just turn out to be a bit of fun.