1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Bumper Molding Swap

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by enjoyfebruary, May 28, 2015.

1. enjoyfebruary

enjoyfebruary Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi everyone! I'll admit it... Whenever I see a 2006+ Prius with the chrome (vs 2005 painted) front bumper piece, I get a little jealous. If I wanted to swap my painted part out for the chrome version, do I have to take the whole bumper off? Or can I just take off the plastic shroud at the front of the engine bay to get access to the screws? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    On my 2009 I just had to remove the shroud at the top to gain access to the screws. I don't think yours should be that different. Make sure to post before and after pictures! Good luck with your project! :)

enjoyfebruary likes this.
  3. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    if you were local I'd be happy to swap my chrome trim for yours, which I would then do flat black.

enjoyfebruary likes this.
  4. enjoyfebruary

enjoyfebruary Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay so finally got around to making the swap. Here are my notes:

1. To remove the black shroud at the front of the engine bay I found it easiest to simply reach underneath the little plastic pop rivet things and just push them out with my finger. There was one that I couldn't reach with my finger so I used the pry method.

2. To free the top of bumper so it could be bent back, I removed the two rubber hood rests with and used a flathead screw driver to pop up and remove the bigger plastic pop rivet things.
    WP_20150610_16_08_08_Pro.jpg

3. From here just bend back the bumper to access the four screws. Once those are removed there are some plastic locking tabs that you push to finally remove the molding piece.
    WP_20150610_16_16_56_Pro.jpg

4. If you look at the side by side comparison of the old molding and the new, you will notice that the plastic tabs do not match. To me this isn't a big deal since you have the four screws holding the molding in. The shape of the 2006 part is also slightly different but it fit fine and the screw holes line up.
    WP_20150610_16_20_51_Pro.jpg

5. I actually snapped a screw standoff while reattaching the new part with very little force, so be careful. So, either use smaller screws to attach the new molding or pre thread with the original screws. So that side is a little loose but it doesn't rattle around or anything like that.

6. Then just reverse the process and you're good! Thanks for reading.

WP_20150610_16_03_51_Pro.jpg WP_20150610_16_35_44_Pro.jpg

(PS - I know my headlights are yellow... That's next on the list.)

5. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I think i gave my 2008 chrome bumper trim away when I cut mine out.

[​IMG]

Did the same mod to my 2007 Grey one as well.