1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Camera

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by ukr2, Feb 19, 2017.

1. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Why are Images from the Front camera sensor, behind the rear-view mirror, available only when the pre-collision braking function or the pre-collision brake assist function operates?

I'd like to have a Dashcam, the Prime has one, and I can't access it.

Doron and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota in Japan will sell you a dashcam as an accessory (I think there are two models?). It's separate from the TSS-P camera which may or may not be capturing actual live images (it might be processed or false imagery or infrared).

You may also want to change your title as "front camera" could be misinterpreted as the "Wide Angle Monitor" which is used to see around corners as you approach an intersection (it's a wide angle camera mounted in the front of the car. Accessory on the Prius/Prius Prime in Japan). It's also used for the Bird's Eye View monitor and Peripheral Scan function on the RAV4 and 2018 Camry.

Tyfly likes this.
  3. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    where do you mount Toyota's accessory dashcam?

Doron likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure. I ran the "build your car" simulation and it didn't show where it would be mounted.

5. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    was that the Canadian version of "build your car?" Because I don't remember seeing any dashcams as an accessory in the good -o-US of A version.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Japan :)

トヨタ プリウスPHV | グレード | トヨタ自動車WEBサイト

Pick a trim level, click on the dark grey box (the web address if you hover over it is toyota.jp/request/simulation/PRIUSPHV/.../.....)

The first time you enter, it'll give you a tutorial. just click next until the end or click on the long red bar at the bottom to start. The dashcam is the last category. You can expand each category to check out the options. It's exterior colour, interior colour, tire choice (if applicable), wheel accessory (if applicable), then roughly exterior accessories/options then interior accessories/options then safety accessories/options (like tire chains, V2I, TSS-P [if applicable], rear foglight), then some miscellaneous stuff (like corner poles, remote start, coat hangar, Qi wireless charging), then more accessories like puddle lamps, interior LED lights swap out, then some accessory packages, then lastly audio options, toll options and the dashcam.

7. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I want the mobile toilet, lol it comes with a "sample" lol

padroo likes this.
  8. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm still wanting the latte machine in place of the rear storage box between the seats. I can find nothing in any Toyota literature about that option. :mad:

pilotgrrl and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  9. Rieuk

Rieuk Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    How do I buy this accessory from Toyota Japan as someone living here in the USA (Southern california)??

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aren't there a number of Japanese import stores in SoCal that specalize in JDM parts?

11. Rieuk

Rieuk Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    What's JDM parts? I highly doubt they'd have an obscure component like this, though...
    Is it something you can purchase and install separately or does it have to come with the trim you specify at the time of ordering? Couldn't find the dashcam on that japanese website even though I tried to use google translate it wouldn't translate everything. Can anyone post pictures?

12. Jessecee

Jessecee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  13. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I bought mine from IMPEX JAPAN, one of several firms in Japan that exports auto parts and accessories.
    “JDM” means Japanese domestic market: vehicles, parts, and accessories made for sale and use in Japan rather than for immediate export.
    The exporters don’t keep inventories; when you buy something, they order it from the distributor. See my earlier posting about this for more about what you can and can’t buy; since I wrote that, IMPEX JAPAN has updated their catalogs. Also, keep in mind that they require advance payment, plus another payment for shipping after they receive the goods and can measure the size and weight.
    Toyota’s drive recorders are dealer-installed options. For my DRD-H66, the installation instructions (not included in the box) were 35 pages—all in Japanese, of course, written for experienced technicians, who could refer to the Repair Manual for the necessary disassembly and reassembly of the vehicle.
    At this writing, Toyota offers four models of drive recorder in Japan:

The DRD-H66 (086A3-00010, ¥39,500) (PDF user’s manual, in Japanese) is a “separate type” (two-piece) device, with a camera and GPS antenna affixed to the windshield, connected by a cable to the main unit with the microphone and microSD card slot, mounted in the center console. There is software for Microsoft Windows, in English and in Japanese, for playing back the recorded video and audio and viewing the GPS location, speed, and accelerometer data, and for changing the settings.

The DRT-H66A (086A3-00020, ¥19,500) (PDF user’s manual, in Japanese) is an “integrated” (all-in-one) device without GPS or parking time recording. I don’t know much more about it.

The DRT-AN1 (086A3-00050, ¥49,500) and DRT-AN1A (086A3-00040, ¥37,500) are incompatible with the Toyota Safety Sense-P system, found on all Prius Prime cars built for the U.S. market.

RCO likes this.
  14. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 1984 Toyota Van had a built-in icemaker

Van-Icebox-SYN-PLACEMENT1.jpg

Tideland Prius and padroo like this.
  15. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    See, that's what I'm talking about. These things are more than possible. Toyota can even do impossible.

16. Rieuk

Rieuk Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Wow, thanks for the great comprehensive reply, really appreciate it.
    It would have been great if you posted a video of the installation. Do you think it's not worth trying to do if I don't have the technician's repair manual for the car?

Couldn't find the camera on this website unfortunately...

17. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    You’re most welcome. I’m afraid I didn’t record a video.
    My recommendation is not to modify your car at all. I wouldn’t attempt it without all of:
    • Access to the Repair Manual and Electrical Wiring Diagram, both available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com, and (for general information) to other accessory installation instructions posted there and on toyota-tech.eu;
    • Copies of the drive recorder installation and user instructions, translated (unless you read Japanese);
    • A Toyota Techstream diagnostic system, to check before and after the work for other faults;
    • Tools, including a digital multimeter, torque wrench (for the console box and grounding bolts), molding removers, and common hand tools and measuring instruments;
    • Spare parts and installation materials (clips, terminals, splices, cable ties, harness tape, etc.);
    • Skill as an electrical/electronics and automotive technician; and
    • Willingness to risk damaging the car, and the ability to make (or pay for) repairs, if needed.

18. Wuzki

Wuzki Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    anyone out there see anything with a dash camer can link to our navigation display?