1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front defroster doesn't work at the top left corner under extremely cold weather

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FireFire, Jan 10, 2015.

1. FireFire

FireFire Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    During this week, most ppl at NA are experienced extremely cold weather, what I found is, the Prius can't do a great job to keep the front windshield clean under that kind of condition.

What I tried, front deforest bottom, or fan to front windshield and leg, both works fine for the middle area but not the top left side which is about 1/4 area of the windshield. It doesn't happen on my sienna. Usually I drive 5-10mins and the windshield are clean. What I guess is maybe the fan tunnel goes too straight to the windshield instead of blow to the rear area or maybe the outlet isn't wide enough to cover the side.

I am in Canada and I park it outside. Anyone had the same issue and how do u fix it?

2. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Almost all cars have trouble defrosting some part of the edges of the windshield under severe conditions.
    Make sure that your recirc. is OFF and crack the drivers window about an eighth of an inch.
    That should get more air flow toward that side.

3. FireFire

FireFire Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That sounds good. Will try next time.

Recirc is off for sure. I noticed this problem because of comparing with my sienna, it's very large area. I can't even drive under that condition. I drove 20km last night and still have 3-4 inch wide frozen fog on the left side of the window. I will take a pic next time if I can.

4. It always takes me an extra 10 minutes out of my schedule every morning just to sit in the car and run the defroster. I usually wait until the oil temperature is about 60 degrees then I increase the speed of the defroster fan. And even then the entire top of my windshield and corners (as you mention) still need another 5-10 minutes to clear out.

Question: If you open the window when it's that freezing cold out, wouldn't the window eventually freeze so you can't open it? (That happened to me last year; even after driving 100 miles I had to open my door to pay a toll.)

5. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yes if you are blasting down the highway but then there should be air flow through the car without the window cracked.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i find if i stop singing, the windscreen clears much more completely.