1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Defroster - EV mode

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by RMORRIS653, Feb 27, 2017.

1. RMORRIS653

RMORRIS653 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I noticed when the Car is in EV Mode and the front defroster is turned on -- the engine turns on and goes into hybrid mode - Anyone else experience this issue ?

2. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My understanding is that's what it's supposed to do. It needs to use the air conditioner to cool the air, meaning de-humidify it, then it needs the engine heat to warm it back up again.

iPhone ? Pro

Clark_Kent and RJ Primw like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it would be nice to have heat only front defrost. a/c isn't always needed.

4. 34Hupp

34Hupp 1934 Hupmobile - Americas 1st Aerodynamic

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, selecting the "FRONT" defogger will turn the ICE on, as this defogs the windshield with heat exchanged from the ICE water jacket. So the ICE will have to warm up. But the Prime has a Heat Pump that is capable of providing "ECO Heat/Cool", while remaining in EV Mode. On the "Climate" screen, select the "AUTO" selection, and there is a deflector selection for Windshield and feet. This will provide (just) enough defogging for most applications. I have been using the "ECO Heat/Cool" to defog my windshield on trips as low as 16F without the ICE turning on. If it is too cold, or too many people in the car (high humidity), you will probably need the "FRONT" defogger to use the ICE to generate enough heat and airflow to defog that (huge slopped) windshield.
    ECO Heat-Cool.JPG

Clark_Kent, mr88cet, Mark57 and 5 others like this.
  5. HypersonicPrime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just noticed this last week. It surprised me when the engine turned on. I'll use the defrost on the screen next time.

6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Page 87 of the owner's manual has this on it:

upload_2017-11-13_8-49-24.png

HypersonicPrime likes this.
  7. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    make sure you set the temperature to 65 F and set ECO climate too:D

8. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I understand that the ICE turns on when the front defogger button is pressed, but why doesn't it turn off when the defogger button is pressed again to toggle to off position. The front defogger is very efficient and in the current November weather and clears the windshield in a minute or two. At that point, I'd like to turn it off, but the only way I seem to be able to do that is to open the climate control screen and switch the system to off.

From what I just read in this thread, the front defogger button switches the Prime from EV only mode to hybrid mode, so maybe I just need to press the EV/HV button to go back into EV only mode. Even so, it's confusing and not particularly convenient. Am I missing something here?

(BTW, the Prime Advanced remote climate control using the smartphone Entune app works well. We used it this evening: we parked at a ChargePoint station in a parking garage near a theatre where we were going to see a play. When the play was over, I used my smartphone to start the Prime's climate control. By the time we'd walked the five minutes back to the parking garage, the Prime was sitting there with heat pump running and all comfy inside. This is a very nice feature, indeed.)

Team ChargePoint likes this.
  9. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Once ICE kicks in (for whatever reason) It has to warm up to satisfy emission requirements once ICE has fully warmed up it will shut off (provided you turned off the front defroster beforehand):D:cool:

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I adjust the airflow to include the front and set a high heat and fan. Within a minute or so (in Dixie), global warming wins.

Bob Wilson

11. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I tried this yesterday, and it did seem to work reasonably well, as a presumably heat-only defogger. I couldn’t verify 100% for-sure that the engine didn’t come on, but I’m pretty sure it didn’t.

Darned ICE is such a vampire: Sometimes it’s so quiet you can’t tell when it’s on. Toyota should add a noisemaker to it, like they did for backing up! (Yes, I’m kidding.)

iPhone ? Pro

12. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I’ve been using fan only with defogger & works very well - temps so far as low as the 20s. A/C and auto off, ICE has stayed off. Fans seem very loud, though. Not sure if they’re louder than other cars or it just seems to be the case because I’m running on EV.

mr88cet likes this.
  13. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What kinda surprised me was that the ICE seems to come on when you press the front defroster button, even if the cabin temperature is set to “Low.” I can’t confirm that it always does so, but at least often, and based upon the above quote from the manual, it’s likely that it always does do so.

I was hoping it would keep the engine off and blow *cold*, air-conditioner-dried air across the windshield. That doesn’t work as well as *warm*, dry air, but it does work, and conceptually would allow the ICE to stay off.

I’ve decided that the best thing we can do to keep the windows from fogging up it to keep their inside surfaces clean.

iPhone ? Pro

#13 mr88cet, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    from a liability standpoint, i think toyota wanted to give the windshield every opportunity to clear, when the driver decided the vent flow direction of feet and windshield wasn't enough, and pressed the front defrost button.

HypersonicPrime and mr88cet like this.
  15. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks... that makes sense. Because the windshield clears up so fast, I've never been patient enough to wait to see when the ICE would shut off.

Last evening I ran it for a couple of minutes and the Entune ECO dashboard reported my mpg for the day had dropped to 561.2 mpg from its usual all-EV 999.9 mpg. Pretty sad when clearing one's windshield cuts one's fuel economy by 44%! ;)

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  16. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Except, your normal may have been 1999.9 or higher :eek: :cry:

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what happens when you use the defrost vent position, not enough clearing?

18. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You mean like the mode in the pic above? If so... totally depends on the conditions. One thing I have noticed when the inside of the windshield fogs up on the Advanced is that the section right in front of the HUD does NOT fog. Whatever they put on the inside of the windshield there, I want it on the ENTIRE windshield.

Otherwise, I've noticed that under high humidity conditions and 32 to 40 degrees F that even with the temp setting at 75 and fan on level 5 that it takes about forever to clear - and that's without any real ice. The pro is that with heat pump heating, the warmth comes up pretty darn fast - FAR faster than with radiator type heating. I've started using the A/C dehumidifying trick to see if that does any better.

bisco likes this.
  19. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't see much of a difference.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great, that makes it easy not to start the ice by pressing the defrost button, unless you absolutely have to.
    that's a big advantage of the prime over the pip, i have to blow cold outside air on the windshield and feet to defog, and of course, there's no way to defrost unless you start the ice deicer.