1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front defroster

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by larrys3255, Sep 13, 2015.

1. larrys3255

larrys3255 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is there any way to run "front defroster" and keep the circulation of air internal? Whenever you press the Front Defroster key it opens the air circulation. I really do not want to have outside air enter the car since I don't like breathing car exhaust.

Thanks.

Larry

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what happens if you push the fresh air/recirq button, does it switch front defroster off?

3. larrys3255

larrys3255 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nothing happens. You cannot turn the fresh air recirculation off when the Defrost light is on.
    I read in the Prius manual that the best way to defrost is to use fresh air and this is probably why it works this way.
    But I am really upset that Toyota wants to force the consumer to use fresh air instead of air recirculation.
    I think that I as the customer should be able to decide for myself how to do this.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. maybe some manipulation of the intake vent?

5. larrys3255

larrys3255 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If I open the upper + lower ventilation switch, then I could change from fresh air to internal circulation. But I have not tested if that actually defrosts the front window. Does anyone know?

6. Barbara R

Barbara R Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You may or may not consider this relevant, but I have found that defrosting the front window usually just takes a moment or two, so there wouldn't be that much external air to breathe while the defroster is on. Now maybe you're in northern Alaska, in which case, never mind. I'm in California.

7. larrys3255

larrys3255 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Barbara

I also live in California but perhaps I am just too sensitive to car exhaust. Funny that when I was growing up in Philadelphia I thought that the fumes of buses and cars was how air was supposed to smell.! ;)

Larry

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the lower with the defroster icon should work.