1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front door hinge damage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusPaddler, Oct 28, 2022.

1. PriusPaddler

PriusPaddler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    A strong person with a mental health condition tried very hard to break my right front passenger door off. Shoving it open very very hard and then slamming it closed. They did not succeed, but the door is "not quite right" ever since.

This week when the car was up on a jack stand on the passenger side, the door could not close without assistance, but usually when on firm ground it WILL close, just with a little extra noise in doing so.

I've been wondering about replacing the hinges and trying to determine if the hinge itself was damaged in the incident. They look rather indestructible to me.

I took the attached photos (filenames beginning A,B,C) and compared hinge to driver's side (filenames beginning D, E).

That ONE hinge (passenger front top) looks like there is a "pad" between the metal hinge and the door? seems pliable when poked with a fingernail. The "crack" visible is in the pliable stuff... No other hinge on the car has such a thing. I've owned the car for 150k miles but bought it used. The door worked flawlessly before this incident.

I've watched videos of replacing Prius doors, but don't see anything quite like it.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Maybe it just needs adjustment?

PriusPaddler likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It was the rapid swing out that fubard everything That's what you're probably dealing with If you take the door off and set it down on the ground and look at the mount points where the hinge lays flat it's probably dented or tweaked the forward edge being pushed in when the door swung out even if that center pin held that doesn't matter it just bent with it. So now you take a metal plate that has a place where a bar can be a fixed to it and has some holes in it and you'd screw that into where the hinge would go and then you would bend that flat back up and back towards the inside of the car tweak it the opposite way it got tweaked initially and that should get your door straight check the bottom too this is what the frame shop will do. You may be able to find videos from frame shops that do this kind of work showing how they do it maybe not.

PriusPaddler likes this.
  4. PriusPaddler

PriusPaddler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You mean like tighten or loosen the bolts? How does one adjust a door?

5. PriusPaddler

PriusPaddler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I think I understand what you are saying. So it may not be the hinge that gave, but rather the door frame and removing door to check integrity should show that... and I may not need a new hinge but rather fix the frame. I will search for videos.

Any idea what that gel pad would be? It's been there for my whole ownership of the car. Kind of silicone "caulk-like" stuff or a gel pad like I have on my Yakima rack. A bit worried to take it apart, but nothing ventured, nothing gained! Not sure why NO other hinge has it on my car.

6. PriusPaddler

PriusPaddler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Here might be an unorthodox thing to try...?

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes like the video above but if you do that in a Toyota you're going to need a smaller diameter piece of rebar I think and I don't personally like this idea I would rather unfortunately undo the door hinge put a little plate of metal and screw it into the door hinge and be able to tweak that square piece of metal that I just put on the door hinge holes with a long bar and I want to put a bar on it so that I can push the bar that I've attached towards the interior of the car bending the forward edge of the hinge plate area up to flush but this trick in the video is doing the same thing but you will have to accurately gauge the size of the round that you're going to need it's going to be different than what they stuck in the Ford or whatever that truck was. But it's the same idea I just don't want to be slamming the door on something else to make the fix I'd rather take the door off and bend it carefully not just slam it but it could work

PriusPaddler likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    idk exactly. i guess i would loosen the bolts enough to be able to move the door with leverage, but not loose enough that it could move on its own. then i would see if it could be squared up when closed, all the gaps being equal.
    if that doesn't work, something is probably bent, as tom says.

PriusPaddler likes this.
  9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Sometimes you can undo the hinge bolts enough or put longer bolts in the hinge bolt holes and then it fit a pry bar with a slight bend in it in the fatter gap that you can make with the longer bolts then you can tighten the bolts a little bit and use the pry bar now to pry in the same way without removing the door you just have to be careful that you tighten down the bolts a little bit so you're not damaging the bolts or the threaded holes that's why I like to take the door off better because someone without experience doing this type of stuff will leave the bolts loose and then fubar the threaded holes and then you have more of a mass.

PriusPaddler likes this.