1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Door Speaker Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Prius_dude, Jun 13, 2013.

1. la9ers

la9ers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got the speakers in today(9633) and It has a switch 3+ dbs or 0 dbs, how should I set it?

2. la9ers

la9ers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    any luck with my question?

3. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    la9ers,
    I went to the infinity website and they say:
    TWEETER-LEVEL
    CONTROL
    This speaker system is equipped with a tweeter-level switch.The normal setting for
    this switch is the “0dB” position, which provides an apparently “flat” response.Tweeter
    output may be increased according to the user’s preference, or to compensate for off-
    axis placement (where the speaker does not directly face the listening position), by set-
    ting the switch to the “+3dB” position
    They say if the speakers are mounted down low, or you want a bright sound, set the switch to +3db.

4. la9ers

la9ers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    thanks for you help, will be posting pics later.

5. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    la9ers,
    No problem. So the prius has 6x9' (more or less) speakers in the front door and 6.5 speakers in the rear doors ?

6. la9ers

la9ers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yes the front door speakers are 6x9 i'm not sure about he back rears, i'm assuming there 6.5.

7. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just snagged snagged a pair of 9963s on evilbay for $39, shipped. Anixous to see how they work out.

8. lopgok

lopgok Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am not sure what 'robs the highs' means. The squawker and the front speakers are in parallel. The squawkers have an in line capacitor. They do not alter the frequency response of the front speakers at all.

9. la9ers

la9ers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i was able to install the speakers my self, went to home depot bought some screws, washer and nuts under $3 and the rest i did my self using the stock housing...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

MikeInOrlando and sprtent like this.
  10. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

It's what others call a bass blocker or cheap cross-over. The high freq output goes to the squawker, and the low freq output goes to the door woofer. The frequency response to the fronts is split...so it is altered. I have merely given the facts to help, not to argue. Use the info or not, it's your car.

11. lopgok

lopgok Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A bass blocker capacitor limits the low frequency to the speaker it is attached to.
    Since it is not attached to the front door speaker, it has no effect and therefore the front door speaker gets *all* of the frequencies.

You are right about one thing, I won't argue any further, as your facts are wrong.
    I could go into crossover and filter theory, but since you don't seem to understand how 2 speakers work with a blocking capacitor, I won't waste my time.

Radiospank likes this.
  12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok, so a little research on bass blockers and my facts were wrong...I stand corrected. You were also correct that it would be a waste of your time to "argue any further" about blocking capacitors, because I only use real cross-overs. Have a nice day. ;)

13. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do we really need to use the factory mount to clear the window?

14. la9ers

la9ers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

i don't think so, i was just being cheap.

sprtent likes this.
  15. sprtent

sprtent Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think you were being cheap at all :) I think for regular listeners who doesn't want to put amps, subs, component speakers, fabricate braket/plate, or run more wires, and who just wants to replace the really cheap oem speakers with a decent ones to improve the sound with the least amount of work on their non-JBL Gen3, this is the way to go. Here's a reference to my exact same setup of my previous trim II: 6x9 speakers? | PriusChat

16. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    what if we have the JBL system o_O I can make a plate from fiberglass. Damn, my car is in the shop for another 2 weeks - I guess it doesn't matter for a while.

17. tassojunior

tassojunior Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I didn't use the +3 on my Infinitys since I left the windshield tweeters working. Probably best since there's clearly plenty of treble and +3 might have been too much.

Also I only replaced the fronts since I rarely have rear passengers and the rears from the front just provide spatial sound like rears on surround sound.

18. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mine came yesterday (y) Unfortunately, my car will be in the shop for at least another week :(:(

19. lmac12

lmac12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I just bought a Prius V 2012 two and am somewhat shocked how muddled the mid range is. I really don't want to upgrade amps and don't really care about the sound in the rear. I'm very interested in your front door speaker upgrade la9ers. In the end how does it sound?

20. la9ers

la9ers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

At low volume you really cant tell the difference, its when you crank it up you can tell the difference. You cant go wrong in doing the upgrade.