1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front emblem and pre-collision sensor

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by SpiniSpipi, Apr 20, 2016.

1. SpiniSpipi

SpiniSpipi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    So it all started with me trying to plastic dip all the emblems around the car. I can't help but notice the front emblem really stands out because it is covered by a piece of transparent plastic. After a brief peek from inside the hood I found out there's an assembly of device which is somehow connected to the front emblem, and I assume it is the pre-collision system/sensor. Can anyone confirm this?

If it is true, does it mean if I replace the front emblem with a matte painted aftermarket emblem the pre-collision functionality would be affected?

2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Your DRCC (Dynamic Range Cruise Control) also will probably not function.

3. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    I know for a fact that a small layer of ice can completely block the sensor.

The effect is, you come up on someones tail, and the car does not slow down at all. After all, it's now invisible to radar.
    Was a very scary incident. Pulled over, removed the ice coating, went back to normal.
    There probably is somewhere in the manual something about not using it in a snow storm....

I'm also pretty sure that atmospheric conditions affect the calibration, so distances vary.

If you paint it and it seams to work, it still may fail due to atmospheric influences.

I will pull over for painted drcc's..

jp

4. SpiniSpipi

SpiniSpipi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thanks for the info. It seems too much to give up just for the looks.

I am sorry to hear that at the same time feeling glad that you are okay. I was just gonna say, an aftermarket stick-on emblem would probably satisfy my needs but apparently there still exists risks of affecting the sensors. However I am still gonna try it out. I will report back here once the aftermarket guys figure it out. Thanks for the info jp.

5. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    FYI, the front emblem for gen 3 PCS cost around 800 to 1000 to replace. I'd imagine the gen 4 is also the same. I'd leave it alone.

6. SpiniSpipi

SpiniSpipi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thanks for th info. It seems logical to try only if there's a stick-on emblem available I guess.