1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front end creaking while braking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DangNabbit, Jun 13, 2018.

1. DangNabbit

DangNabbit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Has anyone experienced a front end creaking/groaning noise while braking? I don’t hear the noise unless I apply the brakes and make a turn or hit a bump.

If I do not apply the brakes while turning or going over a bump, there is no noise from the car.

Is there something I should be looking at in detail?

2. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most creaks and groans are suspension related. Mine Has 281k on it and the creaky noises are becoming more prevalent these days when driving over potholed roads. Mine is mostly strut related. At this age it could stand new ones. Mine are still original. Lower control arm ball joints are not serviceable on cars anymore, not grease fittings. It’s possible you have some dry joints too.

I personally wouldn’t be too concerned about it, but if you are then take it in to a shop for inspection and recommendations of what items are showing significant wear.

iPhone X ?

3. Handballer

Handballer New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Had the same problem with my 2005 Prius. Felt like the engine was going to fall out. But no one would pin-point the cause. One shop said my front shocks-strut were shot. replaced them with new Monroes. Another shop said the problem was worn tie-rods. Replaced them. Snapping, popping and creaking continued unabated. Kept going from shop to shop to see if anyone could offer a solution. Mechanics said I needed to go to a body shop. Body shop said they did not work on my kind of problem. Finally, ran across a small repair shop on the far outskirts of town. He put it on the rack and began tightening all the bolts on the undercarriage. Two bolts that attached the engine compartment to the frame were very loose. He charged me $60. Haven't had problem since.

4. J Conner

J Conner New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes, my 2004 Prius makes the same creaking and awful metal on metal groaning sounds, and it is the brake system. I have had a mechanic diagnostic also mistakenly blame this on the suspension. I'm sure this is because nobody actually tried driving the car, and made assumptions about what exactly I meant by creaking and groaning sounds. I did replace my front brake pads and the rotors, but still not sure that was even necessary. And although I am currently replacing suspension parts just due to the age of the vehicle and know that at least the shocks needed replacement anyway, I know these creaking sounds are not suspension related. I don't even have to be driving to hear them. I can push the car slightly by hand, such that the brakes are working against me, and hear it. I can ever so slightly ease up on the brake pedal while stopped (engine engaged in D), and produce the creaking sounds, same as stopping the vehicle from an extremely slow roll. When I'm done replacing the ball joints, I will be getting another brake inspection and pointing out these sounds more carefully. I'll be sure to post an update when I get more info. Since the front brakes and rotors were replaced, I am guessing the rear brake assembly is to blame.