1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front end mask!

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by photogrl13, May 2, 2013.

1. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    that makes sense.. perhaps take advantage of both by installing clear bra AND using vinyl.. ultimate protection?

I just installed my own clear bra(just hood).. it's my first attempt at it so it's far from perfect.. I knew that going in but wanted to give it a shot. Will try again after some more practice.. I got the sheet but next time will go for the $23 precut kit.

2. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I won't be taking mine off every week but do take it off when I wash the car, which is frequent. If one leaves the bra on too long, especially the hood, it will get dirt under it and scratch the paint. This hood piece takes 15 seconds to take off. Don't know why anyone would not do that. Also, the bottom piece is very easy to remove, unlike the one on my Vibe. Never had any problems needing tape but on some vehicles that might be a good idea. I am only speaking from my experiences. For me, worth the effort. One broken fog light already, cost more than the bra for me to replace. I am good with the looks on the silver car. I guess that is all that counts.
    Dan

3. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hmm...I'm seriously looking at a bra now. Whether it's clear or vinyl, still unsure. I only need it for when I take long road trips out in the rural areas. So I think a vinyl bra would suffice. I was thinking of installing before the road trip, then taking it off at the destination and wiping down. Then reinstalling before I head back home. I will probably take precaution such as taping at contact points. It's only once or twice a year, so I don't mind.

Was watching youtube videos and clear bra installation doesn't look as difficult as I thought it would be, but for a full front end kit including the bumper, price is running at about $150. Then again, it would pretty much be maintenance-free after that.

4. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have nothing to gain, just reporting my experience. This is the easiest bra I have seen to put on. I know it took less than 10 minutes, after I polished the area. Now I can do it in 2-3 minutes. Had one on my 94 Cobra, red, and 91 Mustang gt, white. Did not experience any problems with the paint. I do believe that these need to be taken off frequently and cleaned. If not, there will be problems.
    Dan

p00kienrayray likes this.
  5. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Don't let the videos fool you.. it's not that easy and I def. recommend you buying a cheap piece to practice with first.

Mine has bubbles and not smooth at all.. but I expected it. Even with that and being white color, it looks ok. I only did the front of the hood about 8 inches tall.

p00kienrayray likes this.
  6. p00kienrayray

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did you try liberally soaking it? That's how the tint installers make their job easier.

7. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I did but my technique was wrong. If you are experienced with tint, I am certain that will help. I'm not... and that was a flat piece.. can't imagine contours.. etc.

8. cyeremian

cyeremian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I drive around a few times a week seeing clients. I probably put about 500 miles a week on the freeways, following rock trucks or following some stupid truck from a job site flinging rocks everywhere. I love having the front end mask now. It's protecting my car's front end nicely. I take it off when I'm not traveling as my wife drives the car around town when I'm not using it. I don't mind taking the mask off because it is seriously easy to take off and put back on again. It's a great mask. Easier to put on than the mask I have for my other car for sure. No buyer's remorse here.

9. photogrl13

photogrl13 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I noticed a bit of scuffing on my '98 civic after I took the bra off but it was easily fixed with Scratch X. I'm being a bit more careful with the C. I check the underside frequently and clean as needed. I already got several large chips (one the week after I got the car) so in my mind a bit of clear coat scuffing is better than chips down to the primer.

10. ProphetsOfDoom

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    LeBra is nice but Colgan Customs bras are better. And well.. cost more :barefoot:

Not sure if they make on for the C yet.

11. photogrl13

photogrl13 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    They didn't last time I checked. But then again, I stopped checking when i found the LeBra on ebay. I think I paid about $70 for mine. Overall it's higher quality than the LeBra I had for my '98 and way better than the Honda branded mask I had for my '04 Civic Hybrid.

12. p00kienrayray

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How often did u maintain it on ur Civic? U didn't just leave it on there did u?

13. photogrl13

photogrl13 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    No, I took it off every time I washed the car which was frequently since it was black. I think the scuffing had a lot more to do with the paint job from Maaco than the maintenance I did. The finish was quite poor when I traded it in. My Civic Hybrid had no scuffing from the mask I had on it...nor does my husband's coupe...even though I can't get to it quite as often.

14. p00kienrayray

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maaco? I'm pretty the Maaco paint was the source of any issues u had with the car lol.

photogrl13 and ztanos like this.
  15. Christian

Christian New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    looks like nacho libre mask :)

16. Species5618w

Species5618w Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Wouldn't this affect the drag coefficient?

17. photogrl13

photogrl13 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yes to some extent. I've found the nose mask to make very negligible difference in real life, though.

18. CraigB

CraigB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I will say Colgan makes some damn good products. I had one on my Toyota truck for 10-years and that thing took a beating and looked nearly new the day I sold it. Well worth the money in my opinion. The picture below is not my car, but something Colgan sent me.

Colgan does make bra's for the C now, but I'm checking to see if the bottom can be re-designed for me so it's mesh, and not the three seperate openings...it unfortunately takes the sporty look away from the front bumper as is. There design sorta missed the mark. Not as thrilled that they didn't take it up to the corner of the headlights either.

On my truck I used to rock it without the hood piece for a sportier look.

Attached Files:

19. CraigB

CraigB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Got my LeBra in today. Colgan said they wouldn't redesign because of air intake issues which totally did not make any since; their design actually blocks air intake more. I was bummed, because they make a superior product in my opinion as far as materials used. The front feels a bit thin compared to Colgan, but supple to the touch. The back could use a bit more padding and extra reinforcement where the mesh edges are exposed. Overall for $70 I'm pleased for what it is.

My luck it's raining so it'll have to sit in the corner until the sun realizes its summer time, ugh. It'll give me time to rewax the car anyways.

And care -wise, wash and wax the car regularly without the bra on of course. I ran a bra on my truck for 10-years 90% of the time and never had any dull paint. I would just use a damp towl to wipe down the bra itself and put it back on. After it forms to the car it should come on/off in ~1-minute.

Thanks Dan for the input before I made the purchase (y) .

20. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You are welcome. The few "wrinkles" came out after our summer sun hit it. Easy on/off for cleaning. Easiest one I have owned and I've had several.
    Dan