1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front End Noises

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by My1Project, Jul 28, 2016.

1. My1Project

My1Project Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    120K (64 by me & 56 by prior owner during first 6 1/2 yrs) I was having a groaning noise when going around corners especially when headed down hill and hitting the brakes at the same time. I also had a rattle or popping going over bumps. I couldn't isolate the noise and nothing felt loose in the front end when I jacked it up. The dealer said the lower control arm bushings and ball joints needed to be replaced for $1545. I asked about front struts and was told that the control arm bushing and ball joints had to be replaced first before the struts could be examined. I said thanks for the free diagnosis, but no thanks to the $1545. I replaced the control arm assemblies (had to lower front cross member while supporting engine w/large jack and removing lower engine dog bone), ball joints, stabilizer bars and stabilizer bushings myself. Ball joints required removing axles and steering knuckle assembly to remove metal CV dust shield on back side of steering knuckle. (will post procedure later). Had lined up and the noise changed (groaning on corners left and rattle became pronounced on all bumps like the front end was about to fall out). By the way no cracks or excessive wear on any of the rubber components as I have always seen on the Subaru and other cars I had.

Brought to second dealer (first unavailable that day) who complained about the double nut I had on the left tie rod end(tie rod end puller did not fit well so I put the nut on and hit it with a punch and ball peen) and said that two bolts (1 on rear of right control arm and another on the cross member) weren't properly torqued and that I would have to leave the vehicle with him if I wanted further diagnosis as he would need someone to ride with him so he could listen better. He said no safety issue just an annoyance. Paid $65 and left because I didn't have time to leave it with him.

The rattle was so bad that I decided to replaced the front struts and strut mounts (also bellows). On my way to the parts store the rattling got scary bad, I pulled into a gas station to see if I had a loose wheel. I pushed hard on the top of the left front tire and heard a pop behind the wheel. I went to the right side and did the same and heard a pop behind the wheel. Now I could hear the noise was coming from the strut mount. I bounce the car and could now hear the pop which I never had been able to hear before, (car was facing slightly downhill).

Replaced the struts, strut mounts, and bellows that night and aligned the next day. Rattle gone ! When I removed the first strut from the car and coil spring I noticed the nut at the top of the strut rod was covered with green grease. When I got the strut out, the rod move up and down easily and extended itself very slowly. The new strut was difficult to press down and extended quickly. Looks like the seals on the strut mounts leaked and the bearing grease migrated up onto the nut at the top of the strut rod. The struts were past gone at 120K. Clerk at O'Reilly's Auto parts told me he had just replaced everything in the front end of his Scion at 160K and that Scion is essentially a Toyota.

Still have a pop when going over larger bumps. I suspect one or more of the engine to frame supports. The suspension feels solid now. Which of the engine supports typically fails ?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After installing the new strut top nut, you are supposed to pack the area surrounding the nut with some multipurpose grease #2.

The old strut nuts should show some grease residue on them, from the original grease applied during vehicle assembly.
    Another possibility is that the front sway bar bushings may be worn...