1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front end paint chipping- common or unusual so soon?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by savannahsixt, Apr 20, 2005.

1. PaulS

PaulS New Member

I've had mine for a week and on the third day I had a clear mask installed. The dealer in Boulder, CO picks up the difference and installs an 18" width instead of the normal 12". I have had a "clear bra" on my past 3 cars and with the advancement in the 3M product, it is nearly transparent. You can see a slight line across the hood if you are standing within about 4 feet. I saw a 2004 at my dealer that was 18 months old and had massive chips up about 10" on the hood and was going to have to be repainted before a clear mask could be put on. In addition to the hood, this place does the mirrors, a small area in front of the front wheel (one the fender) and behind the door handels (a place often scratched by rings.) They did a terrific job. With all of the sand and junk that some cities still put on the roads in the winter, it only makes sense to protect the front end in some way.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Actually, the bra has felt-like material on the inside and will not scratch the paint unless you hit the paint with one of the metal hooks during installation.

Also, as far as hazing goes- most Toyota cars eventually get haze on the clear coat whether the paint is covered up or not. Dealers have a compound that you can use to remove the haze or they will do it for you. Hazing is definitely not permanent.

Then only permanent consequence of having a car bra is the fade difference over the years- and a chip-free front end.