1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front end thumping noise at >30mph

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by inddev, Aug 15, 2019.

1. inddev

inddev New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2005 Prius which recently started making a soft and rhythmic thumping noise from the front end. This starts when driving at around 35mph, and changes with the speed of the car. It feels like it is coming from right under my feet, whether on the driver's side or passenger's side. I do not hear it any better with the window open.

There is also a clunking noise when I go in reverse and then step hard on the brakes, though that has existed for at least 3 years.

The wheels were inspected, balanced, and rotated by the shop that installed them originally two years ago. I replaced the brake pads, the suspension and stearing has been checked by two mechanics (Monro, and an independent shop). Neither shop found any problems. The driver's side axle was replaced because the boot was ripped and the grease had come out (I think the replacement was overkill, but whatever). The front shocks and driver's side wheel bearings were replaced were replaced two years (20k) ago at a shop. None of these checks or fixes gets rid of the sound (or my concern).

The sound started a month after driving down a steep hill, where something when *clunk* in the driver's side wheel area, and seemed to catch between the brake pads. I could not find what caused the noise.

I was told it may be a transmission or gearbox or something like that, but they were not transmission experts.

Any thoughts?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

how many miles on her?

3. inddev

inddev New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    220,000 miles.

And I should add that there is no vehicle shaking, and the steering/alignment seems ok, even without having had a recent alignment.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you say this thumping sound started "recently", was that prior to the driveshaft, wheel bearings and front struts being replaced?
    Can your mechanic confirm that s/he hears the thumping sound?
    If the replacement driveshaft was not a Toyota part, maybe there is some play in it. Aftermarket driveshaft parts are not known to be of the highest quality level.
    Try jacking up the front of the car and rotate the left front wheel back and forth to see if you can hear the thumping. If you can then maybe you can localize where it is coming from.

5. inddev

inddev New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The wheel bearings and struts were replaced two years ago, and the axle was yesterday . . . the thumping has been going on about a month now. Mechanic heard the noise.

I vaguely remember the last mechanic saying something about hearing a noise (maybe it was in the gearbox area? I forget. . .) when he turned the wheel.