1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front end vibration

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by mrsocal, Sep 14, 2015.

1. mrsocal

mrsocal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just bought a used 2012 pip with 26000 miles. I noticed that when I accelerate at the on ramp to reach the carpool lane, a noticeable vibration is felt from the front end of the car. The vibration subsides when I reach cruising speed. The steering wheel doesn't shake or vibrate, only the front end. I checked the tires and they look fine, they are the original tires that came with the car.
    If anyone has experienced this vibration, please share your thoughts.

Thank you.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    haven't, but i suspect the tyres and alignment should be checked. you could rotate the tyres first, to see if there's any difference.

3. mrsocal

mrsocal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'll do that, hopefully that will take care of the problem. Thank you.

4. aljudy

aljudy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My guess is wheel balance is the problem. Make sure you do high-speed balance of all wheels. I would wait on spending money on alignment.

5. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This sounds eerily the same as bad CV joints on a 1978 VW bus. It had the same symptoms, and after I had constant velocity joints replaced, the dealer showed me the 1 " ball bearings that should have been spherical, but had worn to egg shaped.

Good luck.

6. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1. Alignment will not cause vibration, only tire wear (which can cause noise mostly, and a little harshness)
    2. Vibration going away at highway speed means it's not tire balance - that usualy comes in strongest around 60.
    3. It sounds like an engine mount or CV axle, possibly wheel bearing but less likely. It seems the application of torque during acceleration is what's causing the vibration. Could even be a misfire although the engine computer ought to find that on its own.